Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP: Best current...

I am starting a my first built, first thing first. How to test output current? It's not in the host yet how am I testing the current output. Secondly does anyone know the best current to set a PHR-803T with a Lava Drive to for longevity, (but can still burn stuff), between 60w and 100w, whats the best current? I don't how to do this... Also does anyone have a video tutorial or even a photo tutorial of hooking this driver up?

1. Best Preset Current to get for Lava's Preset driver
2. Whats a safe wattage to not burn my diode/driver up but still burn things
3. Is their a tutorial on hooking this driver up and/or how to adjust current.

-thanks

60 and 100 w? lol, low orbit ion cannon you're trying to build ;).

The mA and mW ratings are actually VERY close on a PHR. If you use 100 mA as current, you will often hit around 100 mW. PHRs should NEVER be pushed beyond 150 mA unless if you are trying to destroy it. It should be run at 80-100 mA for a longer lifetime and a substantial power.

Hevnsnt has a wonderful tutorial for blu-ray dorcy. The build until you get to the host is entirely the same:
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/272/90/

1. 80-100 mA for a longer lifetime
2. You will hit around 80-100 mW with your PHR with the above currents. Depending on which driver you are using (Dr.Lava/Rckstr) you will need different battery voltages. Don't quote me on this one, but Rckstrs is 7.Something - 12.something volts, and Dr.Lavas is 3.something-5.something volts. It should be included in the datasheet.
3. http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/272/90/

Please let me know if I can help any more. Let the more senior members help you out further as well.

Also, welcome to LPF!

[highlight]EDIT: TO ADJUST THE DRIVER YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A TESTLOAD. Wait for another member to help you out with that, I've got no clue ;).[/highlight]

I usually set my phrs around 120mA and they run fine. That usually gets you somewhere from 100-120(or higher if you have a freak diode)mWs. As for the drivers, im not sure about rkcstr's minimum current but the MAX is 12v. For the lava driver the max is 5.5v. If you arent sure just ad a IN4001 diode to drop the voltage. For a tutorial just check the list of tutorials. Most of them are fairly easy. Jayrob's pocket pal is very easy. You can do with either a rkcstr driver or a flex driver. If you are using a rkcstr you have to use 10440s instead of regular AAAs.

YOU DO NEED A TEST LOAD IF YOU WANT TO SET YOUR OWN CURRENT (or if you are lazy like me just ask the person you are buying the driver from to preset the current ;))

I'm using a rkcstr driver with two CR2 lithiums at 3.2V's, since Dr.Lava is a busy man. I also ordered the Rkcstr from the maker and he is going to preset the current. Do you think the two CR2's can power the Rkcstr

pyrostic said:
I'm using a rkcstr driver with two CR2 lithiums at 3.2V's, since Dr.Lava is a busy man. I also ordered the Rkcstr from the maker and he is going to preset the current. Do you think the two CR2's can power the Rkcstr

7.5-12v works I think....

But usally 9v works good.

jayrob

pyrostic said:

For a red diode, 2 X 3.6 volt rechargeable RCR2's would be perfect with a rkcstr driver...

But for a blu-ray build, you would be dropping out quickly. Better would be 3 X CR2 primaries! ;) This is 9 volts, and would be perfect for the rksctr driver with a blu-ray.

What host are you using? If it is the 4171, I have found that a simple tail cap mod will allow this host to fit 3 X CR2 batteries! :)
Jay

jayrob

I would say just try to hold on for the right combination of host/driver/supply. You can use your rkcstr driver with a different host. :)
Jay