Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP! 5mW Green laser pointer beam diverging

Hi,
I recently bought a 5mW green laser pointer from eBay. (here it is www^.ebay.com^/^itm^/271968261834 Remove the ^'s)
When it came and i turned the beam on, it was working fine. However, when i turned it on a few hours later, I found out the beam splits into 2. When you shine it in a dark area, you can clearly see there are 2 separate beams. When i look near the lens when it is on, I can see there are 2 dots that are shining( I think this is called beam divergence or something). When you shine the laser at something you can clearly see 2 dots. It doesnt get better after not using it for a while or after using it a lot so i doubt its a temperature problem.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Ali

Hi,
I recently bought a 5mW green laser pointer from eBay. (here it is www^.ebay.com^/^itm^/271968261834 Remove the ^'s)
When it came and i turned the beam on, it was working fine. However, when i turned it on a few hours later, I found out the beam splits into 2. When you shine it in a dark area, you can clearly see there are 2 separate beams. When i look near the lens when it is on, I can see there are 2 dots that are shining( I think this is called beam divergence or something). When you shine the laser at something you can clearly see 2 dots. It doesnt get better after not using it for a while or after using it a lot so i doubt its a temperature problem.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Ali

It is mode hopping, either your crystal is burned or loose, just buy a new laser, they are super cheap.

Last edited:
Yup, cheap 532nm DPSS lasers usually do that. Looks like your laser is hopping to TEM01.