Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Manchester, UK

Hey there! I came here because my 532nm and 405nm pointers came today. Seems like I can get good info here.
I have a question - my green pointer was advertised as 1mW. However on the sticker it states the power is <5mW (means it could be potentially up to 5mW?) and seems brighter than that. For example, in a room lit by incandescent lighting I can still see the beam and it casts shadows. Is it overpowered or just a decent laser? Also, while the violet laser looks fairly dim in comparison, it looks as bright as the green one if pointed at a white shirt or piece of paper. Is it emitting dangerous amounts of invisible UV light that I should be wary of?
Thanks.

it's most likely over, like most cheap chinese lasers on ebay or whatever. it's the IR you need to look out for. your laser could be anything from 5mw to 50mw so take precautions.

Cheers, just in case it is more than just a pointer I'm going to look for some precautionary goggles. I didn't buy them because I thought these would just be pointers but I think it's probably worth it!