Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Healing properties of red laser light

Hey, I don't see the reason for the criticisms...he admitted above that it could be placebo effect already!

Also, I think the points are valid- laser light can do some awesome things in medical technology. This just may be for real.

-Mark

usakicksass said:
I work on my feet all day and after 60 years I'm feeling the effects of gravity on my feet. The other night I took my 200mw IgorT red 650nm laser and moved it around the "cuneform" bones (found the names on google). They seem to be the bones that take the brunt of gravity in the feet. They are the last bones on the top that you can feel before getting to the foot joint. I held the laser on the skin and moved it around on top and on the bottom for about two minutes. After doing that I had a warm feeling in the area and the pain went away. This could have been placebo relief.  I had a pain in my elbow from a lifting accident long ago. This gets relief as well from the red laser light.  Even if it is placebo effect I'll take what I can get. I would like to hear from others if they get any pain relief from their red laser.

Consider what you doing in a scientific sense for just a moment. You are emitting 500mW simulated radiation with a red wavewave length into your skin. How is that going to help heal you? By that logic why not try the same with a 1watt laser or more even more?

Nameless_Ranger said:
I wouldn't suggest using your laser in that way if you can't determine the exact dosage and KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  Monochromatic light  can and is used for stimulating healing. I built a 660
and 880 nm led array that my dad used on diabetic ulcers on his feet. Doctors had been treating them for a couple of years and wanted to amputate! Two months of every other day use of the array made them go away (the ulcers, not the feet). You can overdo it with leds, too...
but you're not in as much danger of burning yourself with leds.Look at this site   - and read all the papers.
Good enough for NASA is usually good enough for me.

www.quantumdev.com
Since it's inception Quantum Devices has played a major role in the advancement of medical instrumentation. Our LEDs and detectors can be found in leading manufacturers glucometers and pulse oximeters. and photodynamic therapy investigational devices.Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a cancer treatment modality that recently has been applied to brain tumors, breast cancer, coronary artery disease, and skin disorders. PDT consists of intravenously injecting a photosensitizer, which preferentially accumulates in tumor cells, into a patient then activating the photosensitizer with a light source. This results in free radical generation followed by cell death. The development of more effective light sources for PDT has been facilitated by applications of space light-emitting diode array technology; thus permitting deeper tumor penetration and wider coverage area.

The trials they list are extremely limited, and at best this technology is at an early research stage. NASA indicates it will be another 3 years and beyond that it will take even longer for the large medical research centers to pick it up.

NASA trials used LEDs

Biologists have found that cells exposed to near-infrared light
— that is, energy just outside the visible range — from LEDs
grow 150 to 200 percent faster than those cells not stimulated
by such light. The light arrays increase energy inside cells that
speed up the healing process.

LEDs were used by NASA, not lasers.

"Consider what you doing in a scientific sense for just a moment. You are emitting 500mW simulated radiation with a red wavewave length into your skin. How is that going to help heal you? By that logic why not try the same with a 1watt laser or more even more?"

He's using 2oo mW, but that's my point - lack of dosage control.

www.quantumdev.com

"The trials they list are extremely limited, and at best this technology is at an early research stage. NASA indicates it will be another 3 years and beyond that it will take even longer for the large medical research centers to pick it up.

NASA trials used LEDs "

Yes, and the Warp-10 is FDA approved for humans.

"LEDs were used by NASA, not lasers. "

Coherence lost after 1-2 mm skin penetration.

There are a lot of LED arrays and lasers being used for healing animals as well.
It is viable. I've seen it work for cuts and burns. If you dose too high. it will retard healing.

Nameless_Ranger said:
[quote author=Cyparagon link=1234279576/16#17 date=1234671987]It's not laser-light, it's RED light.

After 1-2 mm of skin penetration it loses its coherence and is just red light.[/quote]

Perhaps I should have said "It's not [highlight]just[/highlight] laser-light, it's [highlight]all[/highlight] RED light."

According to the few studies available, it's all red light (not just purely monochromatic or coherent light) that allegedly offers these analgesic properties. Who remembers venn diagrams?

Attachments

• Venn.PNG
    Venn.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 763
Cyparagon said:
[quote author=Nameless_Ranger link=1234279576/16#19 date=1234691971][quote author=Cyparagon link=1234279576/16#17 date=1234671987]It's not laser-light, it's RED light.

After 1-2 mm of skin penetration it loses its coherence and is just red light.[/quote]

Perhaps I should have said "It's not [highlight]just[/highlight] laser-light, it's [highlight]all[/highlight] RED light."

According to the few studies available, it's all red light (not just purely monochromatic or coherent light) that allegedly offers these analgesic properties. Who remembers venn diagrams?[/quote]

Absolutely! From FIR to UV, but it's a matter of dosage/usage. Red in particular is analgesic and stimulates nitric oxide production right where it's needed. It will stimulate collagen production and hair growth in balding men or women. A particular wavelength of blue kills acne, and red stimulates and facilitates healing with less scarring. Dinshah used celluloid filters and incandescent lights a LONG time ago for healing. Lasers make for a quantum leap (pun intended).