Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Have you ever tried this with your Herc?

LOL!.. this is something juicy I can't post on WL for obvious reasons nor on CPF since its an outside shot.

I suppose any high powered laser would work.. but my son went fishing last night in the marina and was about 3 miles away and my dads house was another 1/2 mile past that.

I called them both on the cellphone and asked them where the moon was in relation to them as there was a nice crescent moon to my left which was East by NE....I knew they were both west of me so I told them to look into the sky towards the moon.

I turned on my Hercules 300mw which is actually over 400mw the first several minutes its on and pointed it over towards them... they could see it clearly in the sky as long as I had it anywhere from 11:00 oclock in the sky to flat at tree top level!
It seems 9:30 to 10:00 oclock worked the best.

My son said the beam was so bright blasting over his head that he thought if I got on our roof that I may could hit him!
I don't know how much curvature of the earth there is in that distance.. but my house is on a hill and they were down in a hole down by the lake.

It was a clear night with very slight dew in the air.

I was elated to know they could see it so far!...

My Dad said he was sure it would be even more dominant if he didn't have to look towards the moon to see it and there was no moon on a dark night!

From where he was at, he described it as a shaft of light beaming into infinity into space above his head!

I can't wait to get to the other end and take camera shots myself!.....

It shouldn't be too hard now that I know which way to point it..and where to go to see it.
I can hook it up to the 110 adapter and mount it and then go for a drive!.. too cool!

RobTheVIP said:
Sounds impressive...how spread out did your dad say the beam was?

Its probrably an illusive number since its light and its above your head.. it would be tough to tell and get perspective on size.... He said if he had to guess.. that maybe it was about 30 feet wide but still quite bright.

I'm looking forward to when laserglow releases the new toy that will maintain divergence of great distances!

Justin

Something interesting to add to this: With a little math you could actually use a laser in this fashion to approximate the distance from Windstrings to his father's place. I won't go into full detail, but if you sweep the laser over the sky above somebody's head, you can compare the amount of sweep (in degrees) to the distance that they observed the laser traverse the sky. (Example: if you rotate the laser 5 degrees and the other person observes the laser to move 200m across the sky, how far away is he?)

This type of technique is being used with our lasers to help in rescue operations in deep wilderness, and also on high-school trigonometry exams to make many teenagers upset. ;)