Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Have I done some damage to my eyes with a 10mW?

SMIDSY

I just did something really (by my standards) stupid.

I was using a DX 10mW greenie outside and accidentally pointed it at a (parked) car plate (the highly reflective kind) from about 10m away.

I got flash blinded but I think my vision is ok. With that power and distance what sort of damage could I have done?

Luckily I blinked- looked away and switched it off so I think Im ok... but...

Thats the first (and hopefully only ) stupid thing I will do with lasers.

Razako

Re: Have I done some damage to my eyes with a 10mW

SMIDSY said:
I just did something really (by my standards) stupid.

I was using a DX 10mW greenie outside and accidentally pointed it at a (parked) car plate (the highly reflective kind) from about 10m away.

I got flash blinded but I think my vision is ok. With that power and distance what sort of damage could I have done?

You should be fine. At that range the specular reflection of a 10mw green is pretty harmless.

SMIDSY

Razako said:
[quote author=SMIDSY link=1210711375/0#0 date=1210711375]I just did something really (by my standards) stupid.

You should be fine. At that range the specular reflection of a 10mw green is pretty harmless.[/quote]

specular? it was more reflective than diffuse.. but thanks for the reassurance :)

Yeah, you'll be fine, now, get some goggles!

SMIDSY

happytomato said:

good Im happy :)

1) It was outside and I didnt think of the reflection hazards but I wouldnt wear goggles outside anyway it defeats the point.

2) noone will sell me some decent green goggles cheap enough!

I woudl like one with IR filtering too but both you and chimp both offered to sell me goggles and then didn't

(btw looking for CHEAP but decent goggles still ( I have WL 650nm goggles))

zonestealth is always an option but thats $60...

Razako

happytomato said:
goggles for a 10mw pointer outside ::)

SMIDSY

yeah I know but I see his point.

I am really careful with my laser (see my childproof laser for proof!) but that reflection kinda scared me lol...

ZoneStealth is good I bought from him and seriously he is really cheep and you should never put your eyes over some cash thats like nothing anyway. I doubt you have any damage from 10mW greenie but with no IR filter you could have been exposed to 50mW of IR, but like I said get some darn goggles ASAP! And why would you buy an IR leaking POS to begin with, we all know its bad for your eyes.

I doubt that any permanent damage has been done, I've shined a DX30 directly into my eye, and it was flash blindness at the most. A reflection should hardly hurt you