Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Group Buy for a green burner? Why is there none?

I was wondering, with ps3 diodes at $30-40 and red burners from $15-(50 if you get your own drive) why cant we get green diodes with xtals for these prices? Someone needs to hook us up with a group buy from a mf.

Re: Group Buy for a green burner? Why is there non

green diodes are (as far as i know) *hideously* expensive. all those affordable green lasers we use are DPSS things, which are an IR diode, a collection of perfectly aligned mirrors, crystals, and optics, and are horribly complex for a hobbyist to build.

S

SenKat

Well,

Doing a group buy opens you up to all kindsa crap ! There are import taxes, laws, distribution issues, etc....finding a reputable source that would knock enough off of the price to be worth it would be tougher than hell, too !

Making your own greenie from a diode and crystals? Nah, it'd be much better and easier to just buy a whole laser at once. If luck is on your side, trying to make your own DPSS laser from scratch is frustratingly difficult. If its not, its an easy way to send money down the drain (great learning experience though! :)).

On a half-related note of shameless self promotion, I'm considering a semi-GB on 100mW CNI green pen units soon (semi-GB meaning I'll be ordering some anyway, and it'll just be a chance to jump on board at a discounted price)

Rhith

Also with the prices the Nova and Optotronics offer you can't really beat it unless you order TONS of units at once so there really isn't a demand.

well i'm not new (been messing with lasers for many years), i've taken about 10 green lasers apart for modifying, i pretty much know all that i need to. I aligned crystals before, changed diodes, improved collimation, modified boards, etc... I just would like to buy diodes and xtals for units like the leadlights and atlasnovas. better diodes and xtals = more power and i can make them reliable.

badinstincts said:
well i'm not new (been messing with lasers for many years), i've taken about 10 green lasers apart for modifying, i pretty much know all that i need to. I aligned crystals before, changed diodes, improved collimation, modified boards, etc... I just would like to buy diodes and xtals for units like the leadlights and atlasnovas. better diodes and xtals = more power and i can make them reliable.

Whoa man nice job if you did do all that. I wouldn't want to try and tinker with all those tiny optics and crystals. :)

Death Angel said:
[quote author=badinstincts link=1192119642/0#5 date=1192139890]well i'm not new (been messing with lasers for many years), i've taken about 10 green lasers apart for modifying, i pretty much know all that i need to. I aligned crystals before, changed diodes, improved collimation, modified boards, etc... I just would like to buy diodes and xtals for units like the leadlights and atlasnovas. better diodes and xtals = more power and i can make them reliable.

Whoa man nice job if you did do all that. I wouldn't want to try and tinker with all those tiny optics and crystals. :)[/quote]

Big difference between MCA (pointer) and discrete component DPSS with separate vanadate, KTP and OC mirror. Just "getting green" can be quite difficult for the beginner.