Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser says <5mw, but a Class IIIb?

Ok, i recently got a Green laser pointer from a friend for Christmas. Now I know a Class IIIa is 1-5Mw and a Class IIIb is 5-500 Mw. From what I have seen, basically Class IIIa is less than 5mw.

My laser says wavelength (532nm green) and the power output says <5mw but under that it says Class IIIb product.

So I was looking around and really couldn't find out why. I am not sure, but i know class IIIa is ok and fine in public, but i read that Class IIIb could be illegal in public?

Basically, I am just trying to figure out what mine is considered.

Thanks to any one that help! :) (I hope i posted this in the correct section)

btw, If you guys/gals would like to see a picture of the warning or laser, I can post them this weekend if you would like/need to see them to make a judgment! ;D

EDIT: Apparently, the forum will not let me post links (and won't allow attachments) so i guess no pictures :(

My Profile on ImageShack is linkinpark9812 so you can go to that and see the pictures! :)

Ref said:

You could be right, but that would be a bad typo! Someone who really wanted to could sue or something stupid like that. I was just curious. Also the label does not show a red "flash" picture like most lasers do (even green ones) this one shows green though. I will edit the first post with a picture.

EDIT: Apparently, the forum will not let me post links (and won't allow attachments) so i guess no pictures :(

My Profile on ImageShack is linkinpark9812 so you can go to that and see the pictures! :)

Switch

It's still better than kaidomain's (or whatever it was) "DRIECT EXPOURE" type label  ::)
If you're concerned with how legal it is, you're better off testing it, or get a proper label to show the cops it's below 5mW even if it averages a bit above :D

Oh, and don't buy from wicked lasers ,eventhough I have heard their CORE lasers are good, but they're terrorists selling laser weapons ranking at least 2.5 on the Osama scale and their products are totally illegal :p(joke)
But still, don't buy from them, most wouldn't recommend it.

lol, ya I assume that if it IS Class IIIb, then the <5mW should says 5mW or ~5mW.

Or if it is <5mW, it needs to be Class IIIa.

O well!, actually i think it is off brand (that can be a good and bad), but looks standard to me. I guess the only way to find the actual power out put is to put it on one of those "laser meters" (measures the mW i think)

But i hope someone has some kinda of answer, because if that is a typo, it is a bad one!!!

Switch

No it's not that bad.You buy a cheap laser, you get a cheap laser that is probably mass produced and poorly constructed(compaired to the high end ones) and also probably has very bad QC, hence no one double-checked the labels :p
Just peal it off and don't worry about it.Or if you have laws that state that every laser has to have a proper warning label in your area well just get a proper label and stick that on your laser.

But I wouldn't worry to much about that, I labeled my laser "Class 3b laser of DEATH" as you can see in my avatar :D....also a lot of people don't even bother putting labels on their well into class 3b DIYs.The safest bet is to keep it away from unknowing or stupid people anyway.

Switch said:
No it's not that bad.You buy a cheap laser, you get a cheap laser that is probably mass produced and poorly constructed(compaired to the high end ones) and also probably has very bad QC, hence no one double-checked the labels :p
Just peal it off and don't worry about it.Or if you have laws that state that every laser has to have a proper warning label in your area well just get a proper label and stick that on your laser.

But I wouldn't worry to much about that, I labeled my laser "Class 3b laser of DEATH" as you can see in my avatar :D....also a lot of people don't even bother putting labels on their well into class 3b DIYs.The safest bet is to keep it away from unknowing or stupid people anyway.

The legal thing is not what I am worried about. It is just kinda confusing on what the hell mW it is lol, but i will go by the Power Output probably. About the QC, right above the warning sticker is a round sticker that says QC Passed... Go figure! :D

Switch

I'm not saying it isn't passed, i'm just saying they don't care much about the QC.They probably just stick the "QC passed" stickers without actually controling anything. :p
It would be funny if they actually sold units that didn't pass and put "QC failed" stickers on them ;D

Switch said:
I'm not saying it isn't passed, i'm just saying they don't care much about the QC.They probably just stick the "QC passed" stickers without actually controling anything. :p
It would be funny if they actually sold units that didn't pass and put "QC failed" stickers on them ;D

lol, that would be funny. probably cant's sue though for that.... lol o well! :'( ;D

Razako

My red laser pointer says DANGER class IIIb laser.
Fyi I bought it at the local hardware store and it is clearly <5mw.

Switch

Razako said:
My red laser pointer says  DANGER class IIIb laser.
Fyi I bought it at the local hardware store and it is clearly <5mw.

Maybe it's a 780 or 808nm so powerfull that it looks like a 5mW red!! OH NOES!! :D