Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Going to build a 6x. Feedback/Suggestions please?

mfo

Hello LPF! I am going to attempt to slap together a 6x build over the next couple of months. I have a few things in mind, and I was wondering if anyone with experience would chime in with their opinions. Thanks.

JayRob's Sku 3405 Host: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-mxdl-host-heatsink-combo-4171-3405-a-22512.html

I was going to use this host for the room it offers, and because it looks hardcore, much like the 6x is :)

Now, a question. I am torn on which driver I should use. Flexdrive, or Rkcstr. If I use a flexdrive, I know I am limited to an input of 5.5volts? Since this driver uses no current itself, I can drive this with (3) standard AAA batteries, right? What if I use (3) NiMh 1.2 volt batteries? Will the 6x still lase? Also, do you all recommend that I place the driver inside of the Aixiz module to allow for more room inside of the host? Of will heat become an issue? (I know Rkcstr drivers do get warm)

P.S. If you own a 6x, please do post pics & vids of it in action, especially beam shots for motivation. Thanks!

I am also torn between which lens I should use. Should I go with JayRob's 405-G-1 Lens, or LarryDFW's Hi Power AR Lens? I want this pointer to be able to both burn, and be able to be focused to infinity for long distance pointing. Anyone here have experience with both of these lenses?

Finally, the diode. I am not sure which to use. I saw Daguin's thread comparing the GGW-H20L (6X) vs. SF-AW210 (6X). Where can I purchase a GGW already installed inside of an Aixiz module? I know I can get SF's from Kendall, but it seems SF's are lame compared to GGW's. Also, anyone have a Current vs. Power graph for the GGW? When all is said and done, I'm looking for roughly 250mW of power when I get the special lens installed. Is this feasible with this diode? Thanks a lot guys!

I'm doing the exact same thing! im going with a V3 rkcstr driver and SF diode from ndrew (modwerx). I have the MXDL with jayrobs heatsink already. im using 3 x 3.6v batteries (10440). I was going to use the acrylic lens untill that degrades then ill invest in a 405-G-1 lens.

I was also thinking the same thing as you (if the driver should go in the aixiz module). I know the driver gets hot, but i dont think it shold be too much of an issue at ~180ma. what current are you going to run yours at?

-Adrian

jayrob

The GGW 6X is the best diode for a 6X build. Set at 180 to 190mA's. If you go with a SF-AW210 diode, I would maybe set it a little lower. Like 170mA's max. There were mixed results with these. But I think that the ones that were set high, did not last too long.

The 3405 is a great choice for a host. If you go with the FlexDrive, you can use standard AAA's, or rechargeable. Either will work fine. You will just mount your driver inside the pill. (I just use double sided tape and mount it flat on the board.

You can also use a rkcstr. In this case, you will mount the driver inside the full length AixiZ module and it will fit easily in the host/heatsink combo.

For the rkcstr build, you would use 3 X 10440 rechargeable batteries...

Last edited:

mfo

The GGW 6X is the best diode for a 6X build.

The 3405 is a great choice for a host. If you go with the FlexDrive, you can use standard AAA's, or rechargeable. Either will work fine. You will just mount your driver inside the pill. (I just use double sided tape and mount it flat on the board.

You can also use a rkcstr. In this case, you will mount the driver inside the full length AixiZ module and it will fit easily in the host/heatsink combo.

For the rkcstr build, you would use 3 X 10440 rechargeable batteries...

So if I use the FlexDrive, I can definitely use (3) 1.2V rechargeable batteries with this build?

jayrob

Yes, the best rechargeable batteries for standard AAA's, are Sanyo eneloop...

Last edited:

mfo

Yes, the best batteries are the Sanyo eneloop...

Thanks Jay. I'll definitely be acquiring this host soon.

Ok, now I need a trusted source to buy a GGW already pressed inside of an Aixiz module. :)

jayrob

Thanks Jay. I'll definitely be acquiring this host soon.

Ok, now I need a trusted source to buy a GGW already pressed inside of an Aixiz module. :)

Check with HighTechDealZ.com, Modwerx.com, or Darklasers.com

If they don't have any, you might also ask daguin and see if he has any extra. scopeguy20 has gotten a lot of sleds, so you can also check with him.

IgorT has a bunch probably... Igor, of course can build you the laser of your choice!

mfo

Check with HighTechDealZ.com, Modwerx.com, or Darklasers.com

If they don't have any, you might also ask daguin and see if he has any extra. scopeguy20 has gotten a lot of sleds, so you can also check with him.

IgorT has a bunch probably... Igor, of course can build you the laser of your choice!

Already checked those three. Kendall only offers the SF diodes. Maybe I will send him a PM. Thanks again Jay.

P.S. I saw your page & that picture of the Hale-Bopp comet on Nasa's website. Awesome photos man.

Be careful with those SF-AW210 diodes. I have mine running at 160mA and recently I noticed signs of it degrading. I could have just gotten a freak, as these diodes are very inconsistent, but still I am disappointed in the diode.

Be careful with those SF-AW210 diodes. I have mine running at 160mA and recently I noticed signs of it degrading. I could have just gotten a freak, as these diodes are very inconsistent, but still I am disappointed in the diode.

What power are you getting at 160ma? what duty cycle are you using? where did you get yours from? do you mean the diode it self is degrading or the optics?

mfo

Yes, the best rechargeable batteries for standard AAA's, are Sanyo eneloop...

Pardon my ignorance, but what's so good about the Sanyo batteries? The ones I saw online have only 800mAh. I have duracell AAA batteries with 1,000mAh which are meant to be used in high drain devices.

Yeah, the SF diodes seem to be lame, and less of a performer than the GGW diodes. I'm definitely going to get me a GGW diode. I need a power chart for it though. I'm gonna PM Daguin and ask him if he has one.

What power are you getting at 160ma? what duty cycle are you using? where did you get yours from? do you mean the diode it self is degrading or the optics?

What do you plan on driving yours at? Me = curious. :thanks:

jayrob

Pardon my ignorance, but what's so good about the Sanyo batteries? The ones I saw online have only 800mAh. I have duracell AAA batteries with 1,000mAh which are meant to be used in high drain devices.

Sanyo eneloop batteries will not lose charge nearly like most rechargeable batteries. I think they are good for like a year or something...

But also, they give very good performance under load. A couple of years back, Gazoo did some graph comparisons with eneloop vs other brands.

Start reading around here at this post:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/first-laser-nova-x125-31808.html#post303638

No power meter yet, but the projection of the diode has definitely changed from the first time I got it working (back in May, I believe). Instead of the regular projection, there is a blank oval around the center of the projection/dot. I got this diode from Jake21, not sure what happened to him though. It is not a problem with the optics. I barely watch the duty cycle, but I usually try to keep it under 1-2 minutes. It is in a nice aluminum heatsink inside of my Sonar host, so duty cycle shouldn't be a problem.

mfo

What about my question in regards to the optics?

What do you plan on driving yours at? Me = curious

I'm planning on 175-180ma.. also just a random question, but can the "not used" pin on the SF be soldered to the back of the rkcstr driver? it seems it has 2 extra pads at the back for nothing? is that wat they are designed for??

thanks in advance! -Adrian

mfo

I'm not sure about the extra pads on the back of the driver. I own a Rkcstr and I don't know what you mean. As far as the "not used" pin, that's actually the case pin. Depending on the host you use, can solder the not used and the negative pin together, and use the module as the negative instead of wiring the driver.