Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GLP-473 draining battery when not in use

My GLP-473 completely drains the battery when not use. I usually leave home during business days and by the time I'm back at home on weekend the battery is dead. Any thoughts why something like this would even happen ?

Sta

This might mean your battery can't hold a charge. Have you been using that particular rechargeable battery for a long time?
Also, if the host has an LED indicator (I don't think the GLP does, though) that might be depleting it too.

This might mean your battery can't hold a charge. Have you been using that particular rechargeable battery for a long time?
Also, if the host has an LED indicator (I don't think the GLP does, though) that might be depleting it too.

I use primaries. My other GLP's are fine with the exact same brand.

That's strange, and I've owned 2 473 GLP's in the past. IIRC I used Duracell CR2's and those worked perfectly fine, never had a problem. That's strange it would lose charge though, have you tried a fresh new battery?

Also, the GLP's(apart from the IR ones) don't have an indicator :beer:

-Alex

Measuring the quiescent current will rule out the battery, and give more insight. Do you have a multimeter?

That's strange, and I've owned 2 473 GLP's in the past. IIRC I used Duracell CR2's and those worked perfectly fine, never had a problem. That's strange it would lose charge though, have you tried a fresh new battery?

Also, the GLP's(apart from the IR ones) don't have an indicator :beer:

-Alex

I tried 2 or 3 fresh batteries, all dead.

Measuring the quiescent current will rule out the battery, and give more insight. Do you have a multimeter?

Currently I don't have one around.

Some drivers will still continue to drain power from the batteries even turned off because they don't truly turn off. I believe I read about the reason being there's no ttl components to completely shut down the circuitry but not entirely sure if I'm remembering correctly. Ask UltimateKaiser on here. He will know.