Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

G-15 xlt

TomD

I was recently reading this article on Wikianswers about the Ray-Ban G-15 XLT lens. It specified that this lens blocked 85% of visible light, with only 15% being transmitted. This translates to an embarrassingly low OD1 rating yet I couldn't help but notice their claim that the lens provides "100% Ultraviolet and Infrared protection"

Surely when they say that, they mean protection only from the sun, am I right?

Or is there any sense testing if a pair of Wayfarers will completely block out, say, a hundred milliwatt 405 or 808?

I'm in no way saying that sunglasses using this particular lens could be used as an alternative to specified/certified ones. Just curious if their "100%" claim is watertight.

what the hell is uv red? thought it was a b and c I would not trust them, only way to find out for sure take them and hit them with a laser and an lpm

"From a RayBan customer service employee:
The B15 is a brown lens and the G15 is a grey/green lens. Both lenses allow 15% light through the lens. It also blocks the UV reds and UVB rays."

I would go with the browns, to test, beer bottles block some lasers really well.

Last edited:

TomD

what the hell is uv red? thought it was a b and c I would not trust them, only way to find out for sure take them and hit them with a laser and an lpm

"From a RayBan customer service employee:
The B15 is a brown lens and the G15 is a grey/green lens. Both lenses allow 15% light through the lens. It also blocks the UV reds and UVB rays."

I would go with the browns, to test, beer bottles block some lasers really well.

Yeah I was also pretty caught off-guard by that UV red. I'm assuming their statement means ultraviolet rays and not ultraviolet coherent light. I don't have an LPM so I'll wait for someone who can afford a couple of Ray-Bans to burn. :evil:

And well, yeah, sorry if this might've been better in an off-topic section (if it could be moved so, better). A lot of my perspectives have changed radically since I joined up here that simple articles like the one above had me popping questions left and right.

It is almost certain that the OD at 405nm is not >4. Consumer goods often advertise "100%" when it clearly is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get such a level of blocking in glasses.
You could try LPMing it, it is probably the only way to find out.