Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Future of portable BLUE

Milos

pseudonomen137 said:
Well, the problem is mostly waiting for some laser manufacturer deems it worthwhile to design the heatsinking for a more powerful blue. Its not any shortcoming in pump diodes, crystals, photonics, etc - its not really a laser issue at all. 473nm lab lasers in hundreds of mWs, if not Watts, are already commonplace for those with the pocketbook. Just like with a greenie though, you have limits to what the raw materials of a portable form factor can do, and because of the nature of 473nm DPSS, these limits are inevitably a lot lower than 532nm.

Basically what I'm saying is that the day you see a 300mW 473nm portable will be the day you see a 3,000mW 532nm portable. Don't expect that to come in a pen-size unit :D

On the other hand, if those 440nm blue diodes start becoming more powerful and commonplace... ;)
I agree with this

I'm seeing limitations in batteries in potables already. Battery freshness very much determines your pointers behavior. In other words, weather your hand held laser is operating at 50-80% of its power, or 100% of it.
If it is operating at 100% than heat becomes an issue sooner, and so on.

However, so far there isn't any single mode visible light diode in portable lasers that is more powerful than some quite nice performing DPSS lasers, such as RPL and Hercules.
I guess 660nm 200-250mW is the most powerful one ?
So, even if they make blue or yellow single mode diodes, is it likely they will be made in higher power than todays 635nm or even 660nm?

any laser companies out there currently selling 440nm pointers?

what i meant was, with the technology as we see it, y cant these people just work on a solution for the heatsinking problems. if all the raw materials are on the table waiting to be aligned then y should heat dissipation be the stumbling block in making more powerful 473nm pointers.
optotronics will be unveiling the new 35-40mw portable sometime in the next few months, but even that - isnt enough power for a portable.
these extra 5/10mw in 473nm dont make a visual difference at all so whats the point? we know they cant burn or smoke anything.
dunno how u popped a balloon with a 17mw :D

Milos

darklandz said:
any laser companies out there currently selling 440nm pointers?

optotronics will be unveiling the new 35-40mw portable sometime in the next few months, but even that - isnt enough power for a portable.
these extra 5/10mw in 473nm dont make a visual difference at all so whats the point? we know they cant burn or smoke anything.

10mW extra in 0-50mW range means a lot in visibility !!

Even if there are 440nm diodes at some point they will always be expensive. if there is no use for 440nm in industry that brings millions of these to the market the price will stay high for a very long time. this is why i expect to see with 18 months blue ray diodes that can be had for less than 5 dollars

Milos

CNI introduced new range of their famous Blue pointers !! GLP-473 , aka Aurora, aka Aquarius, aka Mirage, ..etc
Now up to 40mW !!

looking forward to price drops ..!! ;D ;D