Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun with big-ass capacitors (video)

Well, Unless I hook all 3 in series and hold the wires, I can't feel a shock.

The reason it melts them together is cause the strong rush of electricity from a short-circuit heats up the thinnest part of the circuit, in this case it would be the very small surface area of the 2 touching pennies. It gets hot enough to just barely bond the small point of contact on the pennies together. Since its a capacitor and not a real battery, the effect is safer and shorter so the capacitor won't blow up.

Having the light bulb on the circuit is safer. In the second and third video, I had the power supply hooked up to the capacitor the whole time. If the connection ever got stuck in a short-circuit state, then the power supply would get shorted as well. But with the bulb on the circuit, the power supply can burn its voltage into the bulb.

This is convenient cause It takes a few seconds for me to disconnect the wire from the penny, or pry off the screwdriver from the posts.

Its pretty cool. I was only using 35 volts in this video. I could have hooked up the other capacitors, but you feel a shock. Plus, you would NEED safety goggles cause its would be like blowing up fireworks in your face. :eek:

I just bought 2 more capacitors and I'm gonna string all five together and see what happens.

new video coming now. Discharging 70 volts! But with this much power, the sparks last long enough to hit the ground. :eek: