Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focalprice - Green Laser Glasses special Tested

Well there has been quite a bit of debate over cheap glasses to expensive glasses for all the blue and green high power > 100mw lasers.
Laser Promotion Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess LP076X - $5.41 - Affordable Laser Accessories
Safety is above all. Let me just get that out of the way.

Testing Methods:
I have a very nice pair of laservision goggles
LPB_Focal-1, LPB_Focal-2.
These are rated as OD7+ from 190 - 315nm, and OD6+ from 316 -532nm.

I used the laservision glasses for comparison against the Focalprice glasses seen in
LPB_Focal-3, LPB_Focal-4, LPB_Focal-5, LPB_Focal-6.

I tested the focalprice glasses with a DU 800 Spectrophotometer from 200nm to 800nm in 1nm increments. LFB_Focal-3-2 is the transmission readout of these glasses.

Light Transmission by Wavelength: 5 out of 5
As everyone can see the transmission is less than 3% up to 560nm.

Further testing with my 1.56W Survivallaser at 445nm, showed less than 2% transmission.

It is with this information I say these are good glasses for 4.56$ US. I tested 3 pairs, and there was no crazy outliers. The largest transmission seen below 560nm was about 4.2% at 403nm, and that was in only one pair.

Cost/Shipping: 2 out of 5
The laservision goggles cost 109.12$ shipped to my house from St. Paul, MN - to Duluth, MN. Shipping took 1 day via fedex, and was free.

The Focalprice glasses were 4.56$ a piece and I bought 3 of them with DHL shipping. DHL turned into USPS once they hit the states. The package left Hong Kong on the 16th of March, got to New York on the 19th and sat there until the 23th; where it was sent via USPS. It turned out they used registered mail, and I didn't get them until the 27th.

Comfort and useability: 1 out of 5
The laservision goggles fit great over my prescription glasses and have a soft felt like cloth where they touch your face. They were comfortable but fogged up if worn for over about 5 minutes. They had vents on the top and bottom, which though seemed to help somewhat, also leaked a little light. I could only notice the leaking light when I hit a white object less than 10 feet from me, and was looking down more than 30deg or up over 45deg. The leaking light was a slight ambient light, and no direct beam could enter with the design they used.

The focalprice glasses are very uncomfortable. The physical lens and the black frame are held together by two small pins on either side of the frame and one in the middle. The lens has holes that coincide with these pins, and from the three that I got did not fit the best (one hole at least was not fully filled by the pin). The lens is also kept at a fixed angle due to the fixed ear piece. It extends but doesn't bend up or down to change the angle of the ear piece. Two of my friends also tried these and said they are more comfortable than shop glasses (common safety glasses), but less comfortable than nice sunglasses.I noticed both of my friends immediately took them off after I de-powered the lasers.

Overall: 2.65 out of 5
These focalprice glasses are nice in capability, but horrible in build quality and comfort. I would suggest these for occasional users; however I would not suggest them for consistent use (more than 20min a week). I will accept that for 5 bucks and two weeks they aren't a bad budget buy.
But for the money you could probably get one sheet of this acrylic (OD5+ below 540nm), and make your own glasses with some frames from the dollar store.

I hope you enjoyed this, and it was helpful. Happy Lasing!

Attachments

• LPB_Focal-1.jpg
    LPB_Focal-1.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 210
  • LPB_Focal-2.jpg
    LPB_Focal-2.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 217
  • LPB_Focal-4.jpg
    LPB_Focal-4.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 193
  • LPB_Focal-5.jpg
    LPB_Focal-5.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 223
  • LPB_Focal-6.jpg
    LPB_Focal-6.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 230
  • LPB_Focal-3.jpg
    LPB_Focal-3.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 186
  • LPB_Focal-3-2.jpg
    LPB_Focal-3-2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 266

Interesting post, finally someone who did a full review of these cheap goggles and compares them to professional (better and expensive) goggles. I think I'll go for a pair of FocalPrice goggles if someone else want to see my laser, but for myself (I wear prescription glasses) I'll go for 'Slip over Eagle Pair 532nm Protection Goggles".

Let's try that REP-button! :cool: