Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fitting protected 18350 batteries in the Laserlands 5mW 520nm pointer?

ephemere

Hi all,

A question for owners of the Laserlands 5mW 520nm pointer.

I am not a laser connoisseur, but came to this forum looking for a high-quality pointer for general-purpose use without safety glasses. After an evening of research, I decided on the Laserlands 5mW 520nm pointer that has been reviewed on this site.

Laserlands specs 16340 batteries for this pointer, but I have read that 18350 batteries will fit if a plastic sleeve (?) is removed. I'd rather use protected cells with this device. The protected cell I am looking at measures 38.2mm (length) x 18.5 mm (diameter), which is longer than the typical unprotected 18350 cell that measures around 35m x 18mm. 16340 cells are shorter still, at about 34mm.

Do you think this protected 18350 cell will fit this laser pointer, or will it be too long?

Thanks!

That plastic sleeve you are talking about is melted into place. Also the polarity on this laser is positive battery side toward tail cap. These don't pull much current, so I would just use the 16340 batteries it calls for. You can get them at capacities up to 700 mAh. Anything you see higher than that is someone trying to fool you.

GSS

Paul, funny you mention it as the same unit I got for free to do a little review the sleeve was removable and other's didn't seem to even get a sleeve.
Your right about the 16340's being just fine as I think it was Alien Laser who ran it this same unit for 2 hours straight with no issue's.:)

ephemere

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll order the laser first, look at it when it arrives, and then pick my batteries accordingly. I did read on this forum about someone who didn't get a sleeve and had the 16340s rattling, which was one reason I was inclined toward the larger diameter cells. But I'll see for myself (and report back).

The very first ones had the removable sleeve. All the rest have the sleeve melted into the battery compartment. Some here have cut the sleeve away in order to pot mod the driver for greater output power. Mine doesn't rattle at all. I just left the laser as it was.

ephemere

Great, thanks. I'll go ahead and order the 16340 batteries then. I won't be doing any mods.

By the way, what do you think between the 520nm pointer and the more recent 510nm pointer from Laserlands that runs on AAA batteries? I chose somewhat arbitrarily between them, but slightly preferred the Lithium-ion batteries and the toggle switch (not momentary) on the 520nm unit. I also didn't like the report I read of someone who ordered a 510nm pointer from Laserlands and was sent a higher-powered 532nm pointer; if that happened to me, I'd never know because I have nothing with which to compare it.

Mine measures right on the money 510nm on my USB2000 spectrometer. You would know the difference because the 532nm ones run off one Li-ion battery because of the 808nm pump diode in it. My 520nm from Laserlands takes two 16340 batteries, as you already know. If you ever get a 532nm laser you will see it looks yellow green next to a 510nm or 520nm laser.

Mine had the removable sleeve and I now use 18350's but it is not necessary as it's doing 31mw ( pot modified ) so not a big current draw, nice beam for the 20 bucks. Mine also looks like 510nm, nice emerald green.

My cells fit well, but when I have batteries that rattle I wrap them in paper, quiets down that rattle nicely.

Last edited: