Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First proper laser project

mxr156

Ok basically as you can see from the title i am pretty new to lasers, i know the basics, i have gone ahead and brought myself a green laser module, and am pretty hazy on how i am going to power it.

The specification of the laser is:
Body Materials: Copper
Size: 12x60mm
Laser Wavelength :532nm
Point Shape: Dot
Spot Diameter at 6 meter: <5mm
Trigger Voltage: DC=2.6v
Optical Power: 10mW
Working Voltage: 2.7v - 3.2V
Operating Temperature: +15oC - +35oC

Basically i am toying on having this battery powered, but im not sure as to what batteries i would need to power it, and how it would be wired up, i have read up on this, and checked the voltage and amplitude of x2 AAA cell batteries, which seem to power it up if they are new batteries, but its not very bright even when there new, how would i combat this, and turn it into a laser pointer, obviously i will get myself a housing, but lets combat the wiring and power solutions first... :-S

I hope some one can help :)

Andy

10mW isn't going to be too bright, and 2 AAA's should run that module just fine. If there are no leads coming off of the board look for a schematic or wiring diagram to find where to solder a ground lead to the board. If it has leads get a 2xAA or 2xAAA battery holder and hook it up! You can run the + to either the brass casing or the lead that is probably on the board already.

Pics could help. If it is REALLY dim, it might be a bad module.