Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser

EvanW

Before I start I know that I am just "that noob" but bear with me. I have done some research and I have pretty much narrowed my search to 2 lasers:

Power Rock Green laser Torch 50mW /Focusable&Waterproof [OL-MRGL50] - $34.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

LZCB - 532nm 50mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer

I'm mostly going to be showing it off with the occasional balloon pop and tape burn or something like that. Which would be better for that use? Price isn't an issue by the way

EDIT: When I say money isn't an issue I mean I would pay for either one

Last edited:

I'd go with the Lazerer one, 50mW is an acceptable first laser IF you dedicate yourself to learning and obeying laser safety and purchase quality laser goggles.

Do not misunderstand; normally 5mW is the max for someone's first laser. 50mW is enough to cause permanent loss of vision - no joke. But if you're really interested in the hobby, 50mW is an acceptable start provided you are responsible and informed.

Keep in mind, ordering from china before Feb 1st will result in a greatly increased wait time, they're still on vacation.

Hiemal

Personally I'd go with the power rock because it looks better. They're both the same power output, so really it's up to you.

EvanW

In reguards to Sigurthr, yes, I have owned many 5mw lasers in the past and I think I am ready for a better laser, and I plan on buying laser goggles with the laser :)

EvanW

All right one more question, I have read reviews on 50mW green lasers that people say they couldn't get to burn anything, but those were unfocused lasers. Will the fact that these can be focused make them and to burn? By burn I mean something like a match and electrical tape

All right one more question, I have read reviews on 50mW green lasers that people say they couldn't get to burn anything, but those were unfocused lasers. Will the fact that these can be focused make them and to burn? By burn I mean something like a match and electrical tape

If you darken a small match from a matchbook and keep the focal point on the head, it should light. It won't burn great, but it all depends on how on/overspec it is.

EvanW

I've researched it alot and I have seen mixed information, some videos show a 50mw laser popping balloons and burning matches no problem, but some are saying it can't do that at all.

Just because it says something on the label doesn't mean that is what it is producing.

There are cases where a laser marked 5mW is putting out 90mW and there are 532nm greens which are spewing out 100mW of IR.

If focused finely enough a 50mW laser should be able to burn a blackened match or pop a very opaque matte black baloon. The more reflective a surface is, the less energy it absorbs. 100mW unfocused won't burn though, it's all about the focus.