Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First laser purchase, first post here from brand new member...

Metalmaze

Hi everybody, Ok, I bought a black Gatling looking light saber type deal...69 bucks. Looks like a violet color beam. It says "class 111a, wave length 450nm, 5mw, beam dimensions 500-10,000, adjustable focus.". It was shipped from New Jersey, but I'm guessing it's Chinese because the directions tell us as always, "do not whack or drop, banned direct eyes. Laser is harmful to the human eye. Please don't direct peoples eyes." And most importantly, "forbid children to play!". Anyways... What do you guys do with your lasers? Is it all just a love of the beam? I'm actually a flashlight fiend and getting a laser seemed like it made sense. Before that, it was the Acebeam w30 . I LOVED how that flashlight pasted a small, super hot, super small spot on the side of a building from a mile away!
I guess ultimately, I'm curious if this laser is what you would call powerful? I noticed it almost instantly melts the black foam that lines the case it came in. Also, can you direct me to a good pair of safety glasses? I hear that the pair they give you with the laser are worthless? My gosh! That's hard to imagine someone selling a laser that you could engrave with, and they give you some pretty, tinted 3D glasses left over from the 1973 Godzilla movie.

Go to Survival Lasers for an Eagle pair of goggles. They are very good and the price is very reasonable too. As far as Gatling hosts go.... they are just crap. You couldn't get a worse host for a laser as they have very little heat sinking, especially for lasers over 1 watt. You are not the first to fall for these horrible lasers though. I would chalk it up to a learning experience. At least you didn't pay a whole lot of money for it as some Chinese sellers over price them as well as over rating them. You might have an acrylic lens instead of a glass one. It will melt eventually if you do. Good luck.