Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FDA Regulations Proposal

Alright after seeing all of this talk regarding the new FDA regulations, I've wanted to write a proposal to them... even if it fell on deaf ears, at least I made myself heard.

Stumbling across this quote from Mahatma Gandhi... "Be the change that you wish to see in the world", I'm going to write a proposal to the FDA regarding these regulations. I'm thinking a license system paired with stricter customs on 5mW lasers should (at least for the time being) solve a lot of these problems. But even if you disagree, I think we should at least attempt to make ourselves heard.

I'm writing up a first draft on what I think should be done, I'll post it after I finish.

No one will know there's an issue if no one speaks up. Who's with me?

Last edited:

i love the idea but there are holes. being a government organization they would take this chance as a way to get their stubby hands on some cash. they would probably have a large license fee. and then there would be an age limit and a test. the age limit sucks as i know a couple of younger folks who are responible. but there would probably be an age limit on the license and so those nice people would have their laser rights stripped. that would crush some of them as they practice more safety then some people with guns and shouldn't be stripped a right all because some food and drug administration says so. great idea though. might save the hobby.

Of course, any legislation will have holes. But the point is to save this hobby from possible extinction lol anything would be better than nothing. Once the framework is established, then we can work out the details. But right now it's like we're trying to get the Constitution out, we can amend it after it's out

Sad thing is there is no "we" only them. So if they take to the idea it may stay that way.

Well there's still no telling... if that were true why would they listen to us this time?

The public and the government have an obsession about hand held lasers, and the massive power they have ( yeah in someone's eye realistically) and the risk of bringing down an aircraft is all we hear all of the time from a handful of idiots .but everyday ppl die from guns, they are worried about maybes not what has happened that needed to be fixed corrected,but things that might happen until there is some education on just what a laser can or cant do the government will just push its 5mw law and probably nanny it worse by reducing that to 1mw like what i have to put up with in Australia. We don't have hand guns anywhere near the lvls of the US ,our rules are very very hard and harsh.but even here we have same issue of oh wow its a laser your going to immediately take it out at night and " shoot down " a plane with it by getting a pilot in the eyes ...IDK there's no fix i can see, except really harsh fines for being an idiot with one. But guns get a green light in the US I'm assuming everybody believes there is a massively higher chance of bringing down an aircraft with a gun than with a laser except they make a lot of noise and lasers don't ..education is only way, but with Media hype on every idiot with a 532 at night pointing at an aircraft i dont see how, more is on those events than daily killing with guns

Last edited:
I disagree entirely with any form of licensing or otherwise asking the government if/whether or not we can own and use lasers.:banned: Licensing is a foot in the door and there is no way to know "how much of the beast will allow itself into the room" in order to be comfortable.

License fees can be set so high as to preclude the laser hobbyist from even applying. Will it be a one-time cost or will you have to pay a yearly registration fee? :(

We may hope that in the U.S.A., lasers that are previously owned before any restrictive laws pass will be constitutionally grandfathered ("No ex post facto law..."). :)

Be careful what you might wish for other than free and clear ownership.:(

T.

Hmm my last post got squat reply ..note to self write less

Spooky

But guns get a green light in the US

Have a look at how much money the NRA puts in to lobbying members of congress. The gun issue is one of economics and job security. No political individual is going to try to take on the NRA with all it's money base knowing they will likely lose both the debate and their job next election.

The FDA's polices and future potential legislation can be addressed by either technical expertise or multitude of numbers.

Basically meaning, you need a LOT of people to write to them, or a few that make their own experts look like second grade physics students. (try the young grads that designed the Form1 laser 3d printer at MIT and Berkley) Nothing shuts jobsworths up faster than an Oxford, Cambridge, MIT, Berkley or Harvard teaching position.(it's one case where size matters)

cheers

Dave

I would still emphasize public education first. If needed, a licensing system may be unavoidable if we wish to have lasers in our hands. But public education first