Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Envee mini- review

S

SenKat

Okay - My review of the Envee from Lucent Optics.
Now - to start out - I am not going to be reviewing the output power, because in all fairness the unit sent to me for testing was a known defective unit - BUT I wnated to see it, anyways...

The over all appearance of the Envee is pretty awesome.  The wieght, the feel - the safety features that are inherent to this laser all "work" for it very well.  
    The tail cap "keyed" switch can be locked in either the always shut, or always open positions - VERY nice to not have to have a key dangling from it while in use - to possibly fall out, and get lost if you are not careful - THAT would suck !! The keyed tailcap itself has an arrow - pointing to red for no connection, and green for GO !  VERY nice idea in my book !
There is a safety interlock "dongle" that looks likea mini-stereo plug that goes in one side near the end - that has to stay in - or no workie.  Again - I think this design is nice, because if it gets lost, you could replace it fairly easily from Radio Shack.
    The nice, bright, silver button feels odd after using pen-style lasers, and/ or the Aries - but it fits with the over-all design, and is functional !  
    There is a red LED indicating power to the Laser Diode - it is  alittle offset - and to the left of the power button - possibly a little bit out of the way if you weren't looking for it at first.
    The aperature cover again, has red and green dots on it, match the two green ones together - and you are a GO !  Again, I like this feature - as it takes some of the guess work out of some of the safety features.  the less difficult it is to operate, the better off I think.  This laser seems very well put together, not overly heavy - but you know that you are not holding a pen laser, for sure !
    I left out one item - not a safety feature, per say - but there is a spot on the tail cap for a lanyard to be looped through - good idea when playing with these things for a little bit of time.

All in all, I find it to be a very nicely constructed unit - not short on good looks, definitely up there with the safety features, and it looks to be a great buy for the money !  I would like to get a hold of one to test the output power, and the beam specs - so if any of you have one of these wonderful units, and would like me to test it for you - let me know, it would be my pleasure to complete this review 100% !!

P

Proctor

Nice Review. It's damn nice isn't it?

I love Lucentoptics. The Envee's were a GREAT choice for their company.

I think my Envee is outputting 150mW+ or possibly up in the 200mW's :eek:...It's insanely bright now and lights matches right when I put the dot on them.

I hope they succeed with these and go even farther in the laser business.

There's pictures in here if anybody wants to poke around http://www.lucentoptics.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4

Proctor said:
Nice Review. It's damn nice isn't it?

I think my Envee is outputting 150mW+ or possibly up in the 200mW's :eek:...It's insanely bright now and lights matches right when I put the dot on them.

There's pictures in here if anybody wants to poke around http://www.lucentoptics.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4

Hey Proctor...from how far away have you managed to toast a match yet?

and what the max for a balloon?

Nice pics on that link....

P

Proctor

windstrings said:
[quote author=Proctor link=1171336969/0#1 date=1171338456]Nice Review. It's damn nice isn't it?

Hey Proctor...from how far away have you managed to toast a match yet?

and what the max for a balloon?

Nice pics on that link....[/quote]

Haven't tried balloons yet...because I can't tie them and neither can the missus :-[ ;D. What a couple.

Matches, havn't gone for distance yet. When I pick up some new E2's I'll run a test for you.

Just try it with good charged NiMh.. I want to compare to my dragon

thats what I use...

crailtap25 said:
[quote author=SenKat link=1171336969/0#4 date=1171343861]I did NOT realize they had their own forum !
yeah, you should join, they're looking for new members[/quote]

I joined about 3 weeks ago.. but no one was out there....

P

Proctor

windstrings said:
[quote author=crailtap25 link=1171336969/0#6 date=1171343948][quote author=SenKat link=1171336969/0#4 date=1171343861]I did NOT realize they had their own forum !
yeah, you should join, they're looking for new members[/quote]

I joined about 3 weeks ago.. but no one was out there....[/quote]

Yeah it's quite boring because they haven't linked to the forums yet. ::)

Well they will get there.. they have a pretty cool product... built really nice too and cool features... I prefer more power if I have to put up with that much hardware... but they should be able to bump that up too.

P

Proctor

windstrings said:
Well they will get there.. they have a pretty cool product... built really nice too and cool features... I prefer more power if I have to put up with that much hardware... but they should be able to bump that up too.

They're looking at TEC controlled 300mW modules with CNI ;)

-1 WickedLasers +1 Lucentoptics

If that happens...

Well its already been discussed but TEC technology tends to make the laser unstable for various reasons...
Plus if you use electricity to make one side cold and pump it to the other side, you then have to use more electricity to apply a fan to remove it... if its a big laser with nice big batteries..I could see thats feasable.. but the smaller lasers are already starving for power.

Laserglow has no heat problems and can run continously without TEC on thier hercs and the Aries series is almost as robust without a fan or TEC.... so I'm not sure adding TEC will be a favor or not... there is allot of effeciency loss in doing all that... but its worth a shot.....

I just hate to see its another gimmick that really doesn't help.

I don't pay too much attention to talk... its pretty cheap.. much cheaper than actually pulling it off...
It gets everyone all excited with false promises.....
but if they do... then they will have something marketable if it works......

S

SenKat

Looks like more Envee 100's should be in stock in about one week now.....I'm kinda hyper !

T

timelord

SenKat said:
Looks like more Envee 100's should be in stock in about one week now.....I'm kinda hyper !
They're waiting for the CNI shipment still i expect ::)

SenKat said:

I still haven't got anyone to show any reasonably definitive tests on its abilities... I hear numbers and specs and even how green the beam is.....

But has anyone done a distance burn test with a match or popping a balloon.... proco never would do it for me.