Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Emergency Kit / Product Recommendations

lazylazer2

Hi - I was looking for a dual laser pointer / whistle to put in an emergency kit + for my keys. I have a flashlight / crank radio etc but I wanted something for my keys. I read that its good to have incase your hiking or pinned under rubble or something to signal to people and rescue dogs that your there. IDK if its BS but all the ones I found online that were both whistles and laser pointers were like 200 custom print for swag. I want something that will work if I literally almost never use it - but I don't want some crazy wild military thing w/ a compass and a pair of scissors etc. I just want something the size of a normal laser pointer for my keychain but w a whistle. I thought it would be easy to find online or at a sporting goods place but no luck. Any recommendations?

An eye safe laser pointer won't won't work for what you want. You're likely better off using a good flashlight. You can buy over spec 532nm green lasers on eBay, but I doubt even that would help you in the position you've described.

Reactions: GSS
For the "trapped under rubble" scenario, you're definitely better off with a high power light than a laser. If you want maximum visibility, green with a strobe function would be your best bet.

For hiking or out on a boat, I could see a modestly powerful green laser being useful for signalling, as long as you could adjust the focus so the beam expands to give a wider cone so you don't accidentally blind your rescuers.

Reactions: GSS
Also 532nm are DPSS lasers and won't work well or if at in cold weather. Somewhat fragile also if dropped.
A lower power direct diode 520nm green can be made small and focusable and works in any weather.

There are Military type stores that just don't only sell Butcher knife/laser products. I'm pretty sure they have a something more less lethal like you mentioned.

Back