Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Efficient diodes?

ionize

Hi y'all,
I have seen folks mentioning "freak" or very efficient diodes. How does one go about determining this? Is it something you find out after powering up the device and checking w a lpm? Are there differences in operating charicteristics of a normal m140 diode and a freak/efficient besides output power? This has prolly been asked before perhaps I'm just searching the wrong combination of keywords. Any links for suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

Hiemal

Efficient diodes are basically just diodes that put out more useful light output with less current than standard ones...

Most 445 nms are 1 mA = 1 mW, so 1000 mA = about 1 watt output power.

If your diode is above this, then it's more efficient. If it's lower, then it's less efficient.

Then you also get into diodes that are just "freaks", which have either crazy high efficiency (I.E. 2 amps input and getting 2.5 watts output, etc) or just diodes that can really handle punishment.

No one diode is the same, hence why there are so many different outputs you can get with the same amount of current.