Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Effect of IR laser printer optics on non-IR wavelengths?

One of my far-too-many projects is to use the rotating-mirror and beam guidance assembly from a laser printer to make a linear cutter. That is, use the mirror and the existing lenses (plus the very-handy aperture shield!) with a high-power diode suitable for cutting.

The lenses are already shaped to maintain focus across the span of the aperture. I'm pretty sure using a laser with a different λ and adjusting its focus to offset the difference will work -- i.e., that it's a linear relationship -- but I'm not positive.

Is that correct? (And has anyone ever done something like this before?)

Thanks!

Yes. Focal length is slightly different for visible light and you can adjust for that.

But you're not going to cut anything with a line. The power density is way too low.

How do you mean? It's not a line, but a scanning beam. I'm not expecting to cut steel bars in any event; more likely acetal for starters.

The scan speed is high enough it produces a line. Maybe if you slow it down seven thousand times, but I doubt the motor will like that.