Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eBay restrictions to Australians

Recently I've signed up on eBay and I'm looking around for some neat deals. I tried to bid on this one laser though, and it didn't work! Policy thing came up and said I can't. So... I emailed support, and here is the reply:

Hello,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your problems bidding on the
laser scanner system.

Listings for lasers with an output of more than 1 mW are generally not
permitted on eBay Australia under our Hazardous Materials policy. This
includes laser pointers, medical lasers, industrial lasers, and so
forth. The only exceptions to this policy are club/disco/"rave" types of
lasers, which can be listed on eBay even if their output is greater than
1 mW.

Because of this policy, we now have restrictions in place that prevents
Australian residents from bidding on these types of lasers. As such,
while we do appreciate your interest in purchasing this item on eBay, we
must respectfully request that you please refrain from bidding on these
types of lasers on the site going forward. We sincerely apologise for
any inconvenience this may cause.

I appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

Myron
eBay Customer Support Team

Okay, great. Mains powered lasers are not a restricted import or illegal or anything, but eBay have banned them anyway under their own policies... thanks...

Luckily though, the ONE laser product they do allow us to bid on is the one I want, laser scanners ;D

club/disco/"rave"

I like how they put rave in inverted commas.

That's pretty stupid, in my opinion. If there's no law against some of them, I dont see why ebay should not list them.

Ebay comes up with more bull hockey than anything I've ever seen.....apparently they are too stupid to realize the ban on lasers in Australia applies to pointers only, over 5mw. Worse, there is no law here in the US (where Ebay is based) against the sale any type of laser over 5mw unless it is a pointer and lacks the safety features required by the government.

I can see them being afraid of the US gov't coming down on them for allowing the sale of certain things, but please - what do they think the Australian gov't would or could do to them?!?! Well, at least you know that you can still import a laser of any power into Australia as long as it isn't a pointer...the hell with whether or not you can buy it on Ebay. IMO Ebay's just hurting themselves here.....people will buy what they want from whomever is willing to sell it.

Schrecken_Licht said:
ban on lasers in Australia applies to pointers only, over 5mw.

Actually, ban is on all pointers over 1mW, not 5mW... over reaction, I know :( So eBay was right on that part.

And I think it's more for liability reasons. I don't think eBay cares if people sell these things elsewhere, they aren't trying to enforce the law and stop people buying these things. They just don't want people buying these things on their site, because if there is a big plane accident or something caused by a laser pointer bought off eBay they are in deep trouble.

I would love to find out what customs actually classify as a laser pointer. In detail.
Maybe ill e-mail and ask.

Stupid laws ::)