Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay purchase help!

benmwv

Hey guys! I bought a transformer on ebay for $25 and free shipping. It arrived with $27 and change due! I didnt pay it, just left it at the post office for now. I think if I went ahead and paid that would mean I accept the charge and cant do anything about it.

Now from my understanding it is the seller's responsibility until I receive it. Since I haven't received it its still his responsibility to get it to me for the original $25. I sent him a message (I wasn't rude, just trying go work it out) about it a few days ago and he hasn't responded. Should I open a claim? This guy is basically scamming me to pay double what it was stated to cost.

Im thinking about opening a claim and getting a refund then paying the postage due. It seems like a douche thing to do, but really I bought an item with shipping included for $25 so if I did that I would still be out almost $3. It is not my fault that he won't get any money from it. He should have thought about that before he sent it with postage due. If he had contacted me before he shipped it we could have worked something out. Even if he had replied to my message in a reasonable time. Now I'm mad because hes trying to screw me so I don't care.

Whats the best thing to do here? If I went and paid the postage due that would forfeit my right to a claim correct?

Can't you simply leave it at the post office (eventually it'll get sent back to him) and make a PP claim for item not received? Might be the simplest option if you dont need it urgently. Im guessing if you pay youll have to prove to pooppal and ebay that you had extra costs etc and it maybe difficult as you didnt actually pay him for those extra costs.

Good luck:beer:

Edit: Also this way it will be for him to prove that you did receive it, which he cant if you dont collect it. The other way round you have to fight to prove there were extra costs involved and that he broke the agreement.

Last edited:

benmwv

The thing is that I do want the item and if its sent back I think he might get away with it because the tracking say delivered even though they have it behind the counter. Im gonna go ahead a file a paypal claim tonight to get his attention since hes not responding.

Encap

Doesn't make sense that a guy would sell an item that cost $27 to ship for $25?

A package with no postage would just be returned to sender.

Is probably a common scam with Ebay sold stuff to do postage online and underestimate the weight and send it ---it then become postage due to the receiver.

In any case, don't receive it ---let it get sent back to the seller

Open a case with the Ebay resolution center and tell them what happened also open a case with PP and tell them.

Last edited:
Was it sent with signature? If it was, you should be fine. If it wasnt, you didnt receive it anyway so they cant prove it... Anyway tracking cant show its delivered if its still at the post office. They have to show awaiting collection and not delivered?

Good luck with the dispute you should easily win. It sounds like it was a scam though so hopefully ebay will do something about it. Did you mention in your dispute he was trying to scam you? :beer:

Last edited:

benmwv

Didn't file dispute yet. Later tonight when I get to the computer I will.

I think what he did was pay for and print a shipping label for a small flat rate box online and then slap it on the bigger box this thing comes in. Then he just dropped it off and they caught it at the sorting facility. Since its heavy and not in a flat rate box they made a new charge based on weight.

Thinking about it, it makes sense they put delivered on tracking because when I just have a box too big and its behind the counter they mark it delivered too. I just hope that doesn't screw me.