Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ebay laser diode in "glass packaging"?

smana

Some Chinese laser diode sellers have this "glass packaging" description for their diode; some sellers don't.
The sellers that don't have this "glass packaging" have lower prices ( $23 vs $31 ).

The following description is for an 808nm 1W laser 9mm T0-5 diode on ebay:
"Because this laser is encapsulated by a glass tube, it is commonly known as a laser tube. The window is dust-proof with glass, which is stable and has a long life."

What is this "glass packaging" or "glass tube"?

Are they describing a lens? If so, I don't see a lens in the picture, much less a threaded barrel to hold the lens.

I assume there is probably a language barrier issue going-on here so asking the seller may not be the best option to get an answer but if none of the LPF forum members knows the answer, my next step will be to ask the ebay seller.

Last edited:

Probably that it has a window can, that is a cover can with a anti reflective coated window compared to one that is open can, that is without a protective window can.

smana

ok, thank you.

What are the pros and cons to a glass window vs an open window?

I assume a pro to having a glass window is preventing contamination into the inside of the diode.

I assume a con to having a glass window is a decrease in power out the front?
I also assume putting a lens (G2, G8, etc) in front will further diminish power out (watts)?

Anything other possible considerations?

Last edited:

Liquiddivine

Yo I got a question, how much brighter is 532 nm compared to 525nm in a laser?

Liquiddivine

This is a 1.2 watt 525 in fog it’s pretty cool

Attachments

• 1CB32192-ADAF-4B2C-8176-603E0FA20FBF.jpeg
    1CB32192-ADAF-4B2C-8176-603E0FA20FBF.jpeg
    623.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm not sure if you can see the difference in intensity with your eyes.
You mat perceive a slight color shift.... Not all eyes are equal.

Jerry

ok, thank you.

What are the pros and cons to a glass window vs an open window?

I assume a pro to having a glass window is preventing contamination into the inside of the diode.

I assume a con to having a glass window is a decrease in power out the front?
I also assume putting a lens (G2, G8, etc) in front will further diminish power out (watts)?

Anything other possible considerations?
Unless you need extremely precise measurements, i.e. interferometry and spectroscopy, or a situationally specific corrected beam for yet another precise task - there is no difference to a bare diode and one with a glass window. Once you start needing to factor in Strehl Ratio's and aberration correction measures, that is when you should start worrying about that glass window in the diode package.

Liquiddivine

I'm not sure if you can see the difference in intensity with your eyes.
You mat perceive a slight color shift.... Not all eyes are equal.

Jerry
Yeah, for me, I could barely tell the difference between 1 watt of green and 500 mw of green