Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay green laser questions

I just purchased a green laser off eBay, the listing says high powered and it shows pictures of it lighting a match, but in the specs it says its 1mw, but it also says class IIIb, I know the IIIb class is >5mw, and I know 1mw or even 5mw isn't enough power to light a match, so how powerful could this laser be? It also has a safety key switch and is powered by a 4200mah lithium battery and says the life is 1 hour on a full charge, doesnt make sense to me that a 1mw laser will draw about 4 amps of power

The true power of a laser can only be tested on a LPM(Laser Power Meter). Especially with eBay lasers which vary so much on output it's impossible to tell how many mW's it's outputting. Most eBay lasers hover around 50mW-100mW though.

In addition, most eBay pointers DO lack an IR filter as well for the 532nm units which use IR to create the green light you see, so be careful bud(IR counts toward mW outputted).

-Alex

Last edited:
Couldn't pass it up of only $20 guy has pictures of the beam shining miles across the night sky, also has adjustable focus

^$20 isn't a bad deal if you just want a cheap burning laser! Do you have a link to the laser?

-Alex

Last edited:
In essence, eBay sellers have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to lasers. Your laser will be class 3b, it WILL output IR laser light that you won't be able to see and can be dangerous, and your battery WILL NOT meet the claimed 4200mAh. I would believe the 1 hour lifetime per charge, since eBay batteries suck and you can usually get around 1000mAh out of an UltraFire "4200mAh" or higher battery. If you got a nice Panasonic or Sony battery, then your lifetime would be considerably longer per charge cycle