Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eBay 405nm "<5mW" pen review!

eBay 405nm "<5mW" pen

Link to product: Best Price Powerful 5mW 405nm Blue Purple Violet Laser Pointer Pen Lazer Light | eBay

Shipping & Packaging
I ordered the laser on October 28th. On eBay it was listed as a possible delivery date between November 4th-November 16th & it got to me November 10th, so right in the middle! Not bad for free shipping from China :D
The packaging itself is nothing special, just a typical orange paper with bubble wrap on the inside to keep the laser protected. The laser itself was also wrap with a layer of bubble wrap, did it job fine basically!
10207-001.jpg

10208-002.jpg

Laser & how I see it
The laser itself feels pretty sturdy the batteries go in positive side down. It has a much better feeling then a 532nm pen I have in the same host, which is awesome! The batteries in this pen barely rattle which they did on my 532 pen which as you can imagine became a little annoying! My eyes have trouble picking up 473nm, so to me 405nm just looks like a HUGE unfocused violet dot & I need to squint to see the dot itself :( As most of you know 405 is capable of fluorecense on certain objects! I tried it with my iPhone but Im not sure it picked it up correctly. The laser itself has a danger label with <5mW but as most of you know these are almost always over-spec so I won't be doing any close up burning, sorry.
10209-003.jpg

10210-004.jpg

10211-005.jpg

10212-006.jpg

Power? Rainbow
I don't know the output of this unit as I don't own an LPM but it is much brighter then all my 5mW pens, so I know that's enough to fry my eyes easily if im not careful! The rest of the pictures are just my current rainbow :D
10213-007.jpg

10215-009.jpg

10214-008.jpg

Final thoughts
Overall, if you are new to lasers & just want to get a feel for the common wavelengths eBay is the place to go. They are cheap but they can give you a good chance to experiment with different wavelengths & let you see which you like best. This particular laser only ran me $3 so it was a steal!

Extra

Thank you for reading!

-Alex

USAbro

Cool! I owned one of those but it was 532nm, how come the eBay listing says it's <5mw and it's also a class 3b device? I think Chinese manufacturers print labels without knowing what their typing!

Last edited:
Cool! I owned one of those but it was 532nm, how come the eBay listing says it's <5mw and it's also a class 3b device? I think Chinese manufacturers print labels without knowing what their typing!

Thanks USAbro! :p

Sellers on eBay just list them as <5mW since that's the legal limit & eBay dosen't allow anything higher to be sold.

-Alex

Last edited:
nice i have the same but my button got stuck long time ago so i threw it away and bought the laserbtb 100mW instead, much better choice, but those pens are not bad either if u get a good one with decent output for the price.

nice i have the same but my button got stuck long time ago so i threw it away and bought the laserbtb 100mW instead, much better choice, but those pens are not bad either if u get a good one with decent output for the price.

Thanks mortuus! I agree with you, for the price and what they usually output 20mW-100mW they are a pretty good deal :p

-Alex

Sta

My 405's tend to live very short lives for unknown reasons, I hope the devil does not reach your new laser soon! :#

Pretty nice laser though, seems like a good deal.

My 405's tend to live very short lives for unknown reasons, I hope the devil does not reach your new laser soon! :#

Pretty nice laser though, seems like a good deal.

Thank you Sta! I hope it lasts for at least a little while :eg:

-Alex

USAbro

Thanks USAbro! :p

Sellers on eBay just list them as <5mW since that's the legal limit & eBay dosen't allow anything higher to be sold.

-Alex

PayPal also has that rule. It seems like a bad rule (<5mw) but after thinking about it from their point of view, it seems legit.