Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX True green 50mw laser

I am in the process of building my first two red lasers. I have also purchased a true 50mw green from DX. i was wondering if this laser has a ir filter? If not, how difficult would it be to retro fit one.

I don't believe the DX laser has an IR filter. Only higher priced and some higher power lasers have them. If it does not state it has one on the site, it doesn't.
As far as adding one, you would have to glue/clamp ?, one in front of the aperture.
It would diminish the power of the 532nm (green), but if you bought a high quality IR filter, not by much.
BTW: unless you are holding this laser right next to your head, it's not that big of a deal.(on a 50mW)

Last edited:
No IR filter, it even says so on their own website:

"Caution: most of these and other made in China green lasers do not have IR filters and thus can be hazardous to eyes without proper protective eye wear."

How easy it is to retro-fit one, I don't know. It depends on how handy you are, but by the look of it, those things seem pretty difficult to take apart..

well, i thought id let you know about my DX laser. I ordered it on the 11.1.10 and it has arrived today. Pretty good i think. Can any one advise me on a couple of points. I ordered the true 50mw,how can i tell if it IS the true 50 or just there 50mw? Im only asking as it does not specify that it is the true 50. Secondly, compared to a 1mw pointer,how much brighter should it appear and would the beam be very much thicker? There is a difference but not as much as i had imagined it would be. By the way,im in the UK

There should be a significant difference between a 50mW and a 1mW... The only way to truly know the output of your laser is to test it with an LPM

I have just tried a small experiment. I held the dx close to a piece of black electrical tape and it started smoking after about 5 seconds. So i guess it must have some power. I have found that it seemed to pick up power after about a minute of continued use. Is this normal?

All lasers have a power curve. It takes them a while ( X seconds to "warm' up) to reach max. power. Then after X amount of time the power drops off. This is normal.

I thought i would try out my cheap ebay 1mw pen on a balloon. From about 6 inches,it popped the balloon after 40 seconds. Is this right for a 1mw or, as i suspect,is it putting out a lot more?

I don't think 1mW could pop anything. If it's 650nm (red) the dot on a 1mW is barely visible, except in total darkness.
It's over spec!
Most all labeled <5mW from China are. That's the good news, the bad is, most labeled 50mW, 100mW........etc. are waaay under spec.

Last edited: