Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX True 5mW BEAMSHOTS

No you will see if there is any IR coming out of the laser. There should be as these lasers dont have IR filters...:beer:

Alright, I'll give it a shot, but.. How does the InfraRed light looks like? so I can determine if IR light comes out of it or not.

Do you mean if I point the laser beam to a video camera I can see if there is any existing IR filter inside the laser?

Don't point it INTO your camera. All you'd see is just a bright dot. Shine it on a wall (preferable light coloured wall) and see if there's a purple spread/halo around the green dot. That's what IR usually appears like. To get a better idea of what you're looking for, take a TV remote and point it into your camera and press a button or two to activate the IR diode and see what it looks like in the camera.

Actually the easiest way to see the IR would be to shine your laser through your mums goggles close to a white wall - (You could also put the goggles over the camera lens, but there would be a lot of glare in the room and the camera may struggle to pick up the IR due to the white balance). Point the laser at an angle of around 45° to the wall ie away from you, shining it through the goggles, and use the LCD on the camera (not the view finder) to see the dot. Make sure you use the camera body to physically block the light so that you can only see it in the LCD. It will look red/purple and should be more diffuse than the green dot would be. I have used this technique numerous times with an ebay 532 and a 250 mW IR laser I have and it works very well. Here you should only be dealing with around 15 - 25 mW of IR.:beer:

Last edited: