Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX surefire 30 New but needs fixing

Hi

I bought this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7886

Unassembled, the unit works with 3.0v on the marked + / - points on the board. The unit does not work when inside the assembly.

I hope someone can spot a missing, cold or incorrect solder joint or path. Of course the unit came stating it was tested and working before it left.

My eyes can't spot the issue and I don't have a similar one to compare to.

Thanks for any help

SN

Attachments

• gl1.jpg
    gl1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 194

Razako

Some of the solder joints look cold but that might be caused by lead free solder. If the laser runs fine with power applied to the + and - on the board then you probably don't have any problems with the pcb itself. Check the spring and other contact areas for bad solder joints or other problems.
Btw sorry about the threadjack but does anyone know if 3.6V rechargeables will ruin this laser?

Not sure on the 3.6v yet, will try one once I get working. The metal parts seem to work fine so far as I can tell, From the pics, does it look to you that the + goes straight to the diode and the - is filtered thru the components first? (negative lm317 maybe). Also can you tell where the spring lead is supposed to be going to?

My old eyes can't see this small stuff real well. guess I need bifocals :(

SN

Razako

The spring lead is going to that jumper wire with the 2 large blobs of solder. The Jumper takes it over to the negative part of the board. From there it goes into the driver.

I think the positive goes straight to the diode.

Thanks all for the help,

It seems the anodizing is at fault, well actually the machine work on the parts added to convert it to a laser from where ever are poor, and not meeting up well. I have it close, but it will need some shop work tomorrow in the garage.

Decent brightness, not well made though. Least this particular one. I will reply regarding what was needed to make it solid and reliable tomorrow.

SN