Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dx divergence

polop

hello all, on this forum there is allot of bad words towards true dx and their divergences - but i was looking down the end of the laser, as you do (no batteries no flame please) and i saw that there is a focusing arangement inside (brass module) anyone with bad divergance i prasume pry off the end cap and re focus it. obviosly idont know wether this will displace the crysyal. any one have any thoughts

You will still end up with roughly the same divergence, or worse if you don't know what you're doing. There is a limit to how low you can get the divergence given a set of parameters. Most greenies will already be collimated to almost as perfectly as possible to get the divergence down, but by the nature of a beam of light it will still diverge.

polop

there are some people with a dx 200 that has terible divergance and some that have grade 1 divergance - same crystal same diode surly the focus has something to do with it.

Ace82

polop said:
hello all, on this forum there is allot of bad words towards true dx and their divergences - but i was looking down the end of the laser, as you do (no batteries no flame please) and i saw that there is a focusing arangement inside (brass module) anyone with bad divergance i prasume pry off the end cap and re focus it. obviosly idont know wether this will displace the crysyal. any one have any thoughts

You are correct, it can be focused. I modified most of all of my DX lasers. It isn't too difficult, some have more glue/lock tight then others on the threading of the lens housings. However, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it ultimately comes down to the diode. I believe DX use cheap bottom of the line diodes and optics. See these photos of the exploded DX 200: http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/browseCustomerPhotos.dx/sku.1997 I was able to accept the beam quality of my DX 150 (the dot was the size of 1/2 dollar at 10ft) until the lens cracked because I didn't realize that someone took it and was playing with the dog outside (in daylight) with it for 10min straight. So I bought some DX 5mW modules to retrofit that optics onto my 150mW. I got the divergence pretty damn good, but it lost allot of close burning power because the beam was larger and more even, straight out of the aperture (in lieu of a dot the size of a pin tip at 1ft.). I believe DX sell these lasers this way on purpose, to maximize the burning capabilities up close (notice how the pictures show the laser actually touching the black plastic as it cuts). I also believe that the DX lasers combine leaked IR photons for burning at close range because IR spreads and cannot be utilized at distance. My DX 150 was never able to ignite a match, but my DOY red lit it up! (manually focused via Aixiz housing).

Bottom line: With a little experience, lots of time & patients, without concern of completely destroying the laser, the divergence of the DX lasers can be improved. But I am done fooling around with these and I’m gong to order an RPL-165 as soon as I can! ;)

polop

thanks for the confirmation. if you can change the lenses you must be able to put better ones in like aixiz acrilic or even a dx module (or if you are posh even some glass) with modification i guess you could pull the high power dx lasers into line a bit and posibly have a very good burning laser (leave the end cap removed and you can even have it easily re-focusable

Ace82

polop said:
thanks for the confirmation. if you can change the lenses you must be able to put better ones in like aixiz acrilic or even a dx module (or if you are posh even some glass) with modification i guess you could pull the high power dx lasers into line a bit and posibly have a very good burning laser (leave the end cap removed and you can even have it easily re-focusable

I still need allot more education on exactly what is involved with the collimator lens. The DX lasers are really just thrown together with glue. It took me allot of trial and error to get it aligned just right. I tried the Aixiz acrylic, different old digital camera lens, the one from the PS3 module, and a few other lens I had on my DX 150, but none of them collimated correctly. I know it has to do with the degree of the concave and convex lens and the distance between them. What worked great for me was retrofitting the lenses from the 5mW module because it is cheap, already exposed (not in a pen), and is easily unscrewed. The challenge is that the 100 - 200mW DX lasers use different brass fittings (the diode is completely different) and I needed to retrofit using my imagination to get it just right. It worked great and had a very good divergence, but the burning capabilities decreased dramatically (no more "sting" on skin, barly poped balloons) because the beam diameter was much larger and more even as the dot size was about 1/8" and not >1/64" @ 1ft from the aperture.