Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 70mW Red lab Run time

just a quick question

I should be getting my Dx 70mW Red lab laser here soon and want to know how long i can let it run. with the heat sink on the diode can i let it run all day or is there some kind of duty cycle like in green lasers i should be following.

Thanks
Ethator

Razako

I hooked one up to a 5 volt adapter and left it running for 3 hours with no problems. For extra thermal protection you can even mount it to a solid block of metal and leave it running until the diode burns out in 5000+ hours.

so basically as long as it stays cool it ok to just let it run. Thanks for your help

Benm

With that heatsink it'll run forever really, at least i haven't noticed any warming even with the 100 mW version. The transistors on the driver get warm but that's no problem.

ya i was thinking if there was room, drilling some holes in the heat sink for water cooling just to be on the safe side. i still dont know if im going to be doing what i had planed on so i might not even have it running for long periods of time i just wanted to know if it was a good idea to just let it run.

Razako

Water cooling is more than a bit excessive. Just mount it to a solid metal block and you should be able to leave it running for years. Red lasers are a lot more efficient than greens so they don't need much cooling.

polop

i left my 70 mw running for 2 hors with a rediculously loose heatsink ( the module easily falls out) then i felt the heat sink which was still room temp then i removed the module and it was only as warm as if i had held it for a min or two. this was a 70mw potted to the max