Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 50mw Module. What Host?

Sambo

Hey Guys,

I've been looking at 2 hosts for my DX MODULE and They are THIS penstyle host and THIS Focusable one.

The penstyle host is a perfect fit for the module (Thanks Styropyro:thanks:) but I'm not sure with the price difference...

Penstyle- $5.88 with postage
Focusable- $17 with postage

Anyone who is reading this that has experience with focusable lasers?
Do you guys think that it will be worth it? (I'm a bit of a pyro btw :eg:) So it will be worth the money if it burns stuff like thin plastic, balloons, all the usual stuff.

Thanks for help!
Sam

50mw, you wont be doing much burning with that anyway,usually you need more than 100mw to burn, and it shouldnt be too hard to convert the pen style into a focusable, just dont put the silver bit on or glue the lens to the silver bit, be creative

Sambo

Yeah, I've been leaning towards that option, It's just too expensive for a host...
I'm not the sort of creative guy though, the most creative I'll get is grabbing my dad's huge magnifying glass and seeing if that will help at all! :p

magnifying glasses dont help much at all, unless you have something like a red laser that isnt focused properly, greens are pretty thin already, and you will need a minimum of 100mw to burn properly, I'm a bit of a pyro myself, and trust me, lasers are slightly over rated for burning things, sure, a 1W will burn the crap outa some electrical tape or fuse, but even 300mw red isnt much fun with pyro compositions, the best thing you can use your greenie for is star gazing, the beams are soo nice and bright in the night sky.

Sambo

Oh, really?? haha, I thought a magnifying glass would help focus..
It would still be fun to some astronomy though!! I've only had a few 5mw's before and you can't see the beam at all unless it's a foggy night :(. At least I could try when i get it because I found a mini headlamp focus lens that could work. :D
Just one last quick question - What sort of output does a dvd drive have? It's about 5 years old.

Thanks again! :)
Sam