Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD Burner Laser cutter

Maher

Hello Guys,

I am a new member here, I am trying to use the laser in the DVD burner with it's optical system all together, since it has a very small spot size, I can actually use it -With around 400mW for cutting some micro objects I'm working with.
Theoretically this should be right, but until now I've killed so many Laser diodes. So I have some questions.

1) How can I know the focus of the output lens ? And if it's too small can I use another lens after it to focus it somewhere else?

2) I have already killed 7 Laser diodes I can't know why? I am using a "BK Precision DC Power Supply" Until I make the regulator circuit with V=2.5v , I=100 mA, the diode was working fine for a minute and after that I switched to the IR diode, then back to the Red Diode it didn't work since then. Did I do something wrong?

3) Can I just use another Laser diode with the same system or will it not be aligned right? In case this didn't work can I make any use of the optical system in this picture for example?

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/phr803ta.jpg.

I want to use this specially since as I mentioned before it already gets a suitable spot size and it's somehow cheap as I can try to get old DVD burners

Please if you have any advice you can give me I'll be really grateful :yh:

APEX1

have you made a welcome thread to introduce yourself? also add a location to your profile most members will not help if you have a half complete profile! I'd recommend that you watch a few tutorials on youtube mainly styropyros videos!

Maher

I'm sorry, I made a post right now and I completed my Profile, Thanks for the tip :)