Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dvd burner laser and lenses question.

hi,
I don't want to make a laser pointer it's a etching application, been thinking the tracks on a dvd have a track pitch of 0.74 microns and a minimum pit length of 0.4 microns been thinking shouldn't I be able to use the stuff from dvd burner mirror, etc in order to focus to a really tiny dot now I was hoping for 0.05mm to 0.1mm in width at about a distance of no more than 1" maybe 2" What I want to do is evaporate/ burn flat black spray paint off copper or glass surfaces so I can then chemically etch the same.
considering the focus-abillity of dvd lasers at short distances like this I figured that might be doable but catch is three things.
#1 need to keep dirt from getting to the lens (maybe a fan sucking constantly)
#2 if I keep alot of the stuff how am I going to cool the dvd laser sufficiently because all the stuff on that sled has very small distances even if I make something custom (got a 3D printer the cold parts I could print) I would still need to figure out exactly how to integrate a huge heat sink since the laser will be on for quite some time.
#3 would need to know how cold I want to keep that laser so it can stay on for / hours (there will be some off periods but that's just jumping to the next starting point). Should I use a tec to keep it really cold or will a bit over room temp be enough?

So what you think will the stuff on the sled work?
terramir