Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driving a PHAZOR Question

MTG18

Hi, do I need to modify the DDL Driver in any way to get the 350mA for the Phazor Diodes? I have the driver all set up running from two fully-charged rechargeable CR123's. I am using a dummy load (4 1N4001 diodes in series) and am measuring the current (using a 1 ohm resistor) to be around 210mA when the pot is at its least resistance.

Any suggestions? Help?

Thanks!

chido

What's the resistance of your resistors? You know, the ones you connect to the pot. I'm almost sure that's what's limiting the current.

MTG18

They are 2 10 Ohm resistors in parallel. As shown in the DDL circuit diagrams.

chido

That's limiting the current to 250mA. Use three 10 ohm resistors in parallel, that should limit the current to approx. 378mA. Then you can use the pot to adjust the current to 350mA.

MTG18

I added 2 more 10 ohm resistors and it appears the current is limited to about 330mA when the pot is at least resistance. This is right about where I want to run my diode so this is good. When the current is at 330mA the voltage to the LD is about 3.5 Volts. Is this normal? It seems high. So I am measuring 330mA for current to LD and a corresponding 3.5V for voltage to the LD when using the dummy load.

Am I safe to now connect the Phazor LD and drive it with these properties?

chido

No dummy load will ever simulate an LD perfectly. That's why the voltage you're seeing is a little high for a phazor diode.
I've said this a lot of times and I'll say it again, think current. The voltage going to the diode doesn't matter, the diode will take whatever voltage it needs to work, what can kill it is the current, not the voltage.

MTG18

So I got it working :)

It's not as powerful as I was expecting but is quite a burner never-the-less. It seems a little less bright than my green 100mW but perhaps its difficult to compare the two given their different wavelengths/colors/laser type. If it is outputting around 150mW should I be able to see the red beam very well at night? I am giving my batteries a full recharge and hoping that might boost the power more.

Their is also a line across the projected dot when focused. What is this? Can I get rid of it or does it have to do with the diode itself?

Thanks so much chido for all your help! I truly appreciate your patience and expertise.

chido

Green is a lot brighter than red and you will need lots of red to equal the brightness of a green.
At 330mA it should be outputting 200mW+. I can see the beam of my 100mW red laser at night when I point it at the sky. The beam isn't so visible but you are able to see it.
The line is normal, it won't affect anything, it's just there. All DVD burner diodes have it and you can't get rid of it. Here's a pic of mine.

Dot.jpg