Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver Purchasing Advice

So I'm planning to do a few builds, and I am in need of some drivers. I purchased what I could from CajunLasers closing out, but now I am stuck. I also am sending messages to both the makers of the X-Drive and the BlitzBuck. Below is my list of lasers that I am building, and the type of drivers I'm considering, if there are ANY suggestions you may have on another driver I could use, or know someone who could sell me one, please let me know. Generally I prefer a rectangular driver, but anything will do. If I could find an adjustable driver that would really help also. I'm becoming more familiar with the Buck, Boost, and Linear drivers, but if for some reason my list doesn't seem like I'm considering an option let me know! I need:

1 Driver at 2.2A for a 9mm 445nm diode (Case Neutral - X-Drive or BlitzBuck?)
1 Driver at ~1.65A for an M140 (Case Neutral - X-Drive or BlitzBuck?)
1 Driver at ~1.2A for a PLTB450 (Case Neutral - X-Drive or BlitzBuck?)
1 Driver at ~1.250A for a Mits 500 (Case Neutral - X-Drive or BlitzBuck?)
Also interested in any adjustable drivers that aren't linear for future builds

I do like X-drives as I have used them before, but like I said I will be interested in anything. Also, as most of you probably wish the same, the goal is the best efficiency possible, and the number of cells required isn't much of a problem... I haven't chosen hosts yet.

Thanks Much,
Ken

As a noob who has not tested most of the drivers out there, I have tried a BlitzBuck and an X-Drive. My BlitzBuck was DOA. Seems that 2 pins on the chip with 6 pins were soldered together. Could have just been a freak manufacturer QC issue. After talking to the distributor, it turns out that the Blitz type drivers have about a 5% fail and return rate. And thats not bad for anything mass produced. How many fail, and are never returned is unknown. The X-Drives as far as I can tell have a 0% fail rate, as crazy as that sounds. You can search out both drivers on this forum, and see what issues people have been having. As for efficiency, from what I can search out the X-Drives run around 93%-95%. The BlitzBucks 90% at best, when at just the right output setting. Too high or too low and it drops some from there. Anywho, all this is on the LPF Search :) Good luck!

benmwv

Lazereer makes some good drivers, but not 93-95 percent efficient ones. No driver is that efficient! In reality I would expect between 80 and 90 percent efficiency from each.