Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dpss-How long will they last?

I have wanted to purchase a optotronics rpl for awhile now. But I don't want shove out 600 plus dollars only to have my laser out dated by diodes a few years later. Obviously diodes will eventually replace 532nm dpss lasers, but my question is when? 5 years? 10 years? Maybe sooner? Is it even predicatable? Is it worth waiting or should I go ahead and make the jump? Thanks.

They have the 520nm and 515nm green diodes. Most likely if they mass produce anything capapble of high power in green it wont be 532 but somewhere around there. So if you want a direct diode you havw the 520nm around 130mW or so. Any higher you need thr dpss system. I wouldnt wait around for a high power direct diode in green.

I'd say it will take 10+ years... the cost of producing direct green diodes will stay rather high for a while, as the industry and markets are well adapted to DPSS green lasers, and they are quite cheap now. Don't bother waiting, plus, any Opto product is very good :beer:

I've been wanting a high power green for a while but decided I'm waiting for a 1W diode. DPSS is just too fragile and unstable, I'd hate to spend hundreds of dollars and have it crap out on me.

I'd guess the multimode diodes are less than one year away. Prices will be steep initally but might drop quickly when projectors start to be harvested.