Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

does this is too powerful?

weiwei

my son buy a laser point in a online shop laser acheter, but he choose the 200mw ,in my opinion, I think this is too powerful and it's dangerious! is there a laser expert can answer my question?

What is he using it for?, how old is he?, does he understand lasers are dangerous and should be treated like a firearm?, does he (and all others using or around the laser) have laser safety goggles?

welcome to the forum, wee wee.

If... in fact, this is not false advertising (not uncommon) and the laser pointer IS...

a 200mw laser of any wavelength....

then it may be on the narrow side of safety.

But isn't that the American way?

Freedom to do as thy chooses, and...

freedom to endanger thyself?

But, seriously though...
with appropriate safety goggle to all those in viewing range, it can be a good learning experience. Order several pairs of these:

Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear

and let the learning experience begin!`

^ good point, just because its advertised as 200mW doesnt mean that will be the actual output. That being said, some 5mW lasers are really closer to 50mW, so it's always good to take safety precautions regardless. lasers can cause eye injury, but its far less likely than putting an eye out with a bb gun or a sling shot or something like that. The best toys are always a little dangerous :D

Would those goggles really work? They are under 10$ so i would buy like 5 pairs for friends who would be around me during my laser use.

weiwei

What is he using it for?, how old is he?, does he understand lasers are dangerous and should be treated like a firearm?, does he (and all others using or around the laser) have laser safety goggles?

for astronomy and he is 16 years old, he already buy the safety glasses,this shop selle safety glasses,too,and he told me do not worry about him, but I still worry about it so I'm here for your answer

Last edited:
If he has glasses (for the right wavelength) I wouldn't worry, especially if hes using it outside. It would be fine to use the laser outside without goggles as long as he is responsible with it, and only points it toward the sky. Be sure to always wear goggles when using it indoors, or if there is a chance the beam may reflect off something.

for astronomy and he is 16 years old, he already buy the safety glasses,this shop selle safety glasses,too,and he told me do not worry about him, but I still worry about it so I'm here for your answer

I'd tell him to make sure he doesn't put it in the flight path of any aircraft. He probably knows already, but pointing a laser at aircraft can get you in a lot of trouble.