Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does a cooled laser run longer?

MojoLA

You don't have to pay good, the wheel and motor was like $30 on eBay! I assume you have a laser :)

I'll include some links when i do a proper post on Thursday. But do a search on ebay for laser lumia, if you see the one in my video (1/3rd rpm motor, it was the only one like that for sale) then just get it. When I bought mine a few weeks ago he had 5 for sale, maybe he still has one!

I'm an electronics newb, the wheel has two bare wires...how would I power it with the 100+ volts?

For what your doing, I think you'd do much better with a low powered labby than with a pointer. You'd have much longer run times without heat concerns that way. Or having to worry about batteries.

MojoLA

Qume: I agree completely! I came to that same realization earlier in the week... so now I am looking for exactly that - desktop, "plug in" lasers under 50mw.

I actually think 15mw green is exactly right, and i'm looking for opinions on what power red and violet would visually match the green (I'm guessing 35-50mw).

One of the probems I've been having is knowing what to search for! If I look for "lab laser" I get super high end stuff, if I look for "laser diode" I get a lot of info about the actual laser diode itself.... so what would a simple, 15mw green "desk top" laser that you plug into the wall that has a 100% duty cycle be called??

I'd suggest building one. You already have the diode you want in the laser pointer. Now you just need to extract it, build a simple power supply, get or make an appropriate heat sink, build yourself a cool housing to put it all in. Add a sweet switch for aesthetic purposes :D and you have exactly what you want.

I'd suggest building one. You already have the diode you want in the laser pointer. Now you just need to extract it, build a simple power supply, get or make an appropriate heat sink, build yourself a cool housing to put it all in. Add a sweet switch for aesthetic purposes :D and you have exactly what you want.

532nm is DPSS. Not a diode. Well they have laser diodes in them, but the diode puts out 808nm IR. It's by a bit of quantum magic that a couple of crystals turn that 808 first into 1064, then into 532.

And it looks like DX has several relatively cheap labbys. I notice they have the FDA warnings posted all over the listings though but these really shouldn't be any different than the bare pointer modules as far as legalities.

You can always try anyway. Worst that'll happen is they cancel the order and give you a refund.

Last edited:

MojoLA

I love it when folks say "all you have to do it..." and then list ten things the average person has absolutely no idea how to do. But THEY know how to do it, so naturally everyone else should!

Hey, some of us like to just BUY stuff :) I have no tools and no skills. However, people like me and people like you are what makes the world go around, since I would happily PAY YOU to make me a few "easy" lab lasers!