Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY RED LASER (first ever for me)

hey i have a question. i ripped open an old cd drive today to see if i could even find a diode. what i found was a strange square shaped chip attached to a ribbon cable. it looked like it had a crystal in it.

is this some other type of diode?

dylantrevors said:
hey i have a question. i ripped open an old cd drive today to see if i could even find a diode. what i found was a strange square shaped chip attached to a ribbon cable. it looked like it had a crystal in it.

is this some other type of diode?
Double post? That's weird, well anyway here was my reply:

In that CD drive there is an invisible 1mW Laser Diode which is basically useless. There should be a diode in there that looks exactly like the one you pulled from the DVD burner.

chido

Is this a CD burner or a reader? If it's a reader then all you're going to see is that "crystal" diode, if it's a burner then you should find and IR diode, it will look exactly like the diode from the DVD burner.
I wouldn't recommend playing with it unless you get some proper eye wear as IR can be more dangerous than visible light.

ok its just a reader. yeah i dont want to mess with ir. because you dont know if its on or not so you have to be really careful.