Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY "Labby" M140 driver build

I have gotten a request from a friend of mine to build him a laser engraver for wood projects, he wants this laser to mostly sign his projects and to add some small details.
Now I have recently built meself a 1W A140 in a C6 host with a premade driver.

After searching on the forum and other sites I think using a LM350 DDL driver would be my way to go.
I was planning on using the schematic that I found in this thread with some 5W resistors and a quite large heatsink on the LM350 for the exces heat generated by the regulator.
42340d1372360830-driver-circuit-m140-445nm-linear.png

Now for the power supply I had a 12V 3A Regulated Switching Power Supply in mind from DX.

My question is if this would work with this power supply and driver combo, or would I need a different power supply or driver?
If so, what would your recommendations be?

Looks good to me, although a 9V PSU would mean less heat in the LM350. How are you going to implement the on/off and/or power level signal from the engraver?

I am going to use a momentary switch in a case placed at the feet to switch the power on/off towards the driver, for the laser will be in a sort of pen style enclosure so he can lase without turning it on/off with his hands.

And I have been looking for a 9V PSU, but besides from crappy AC adapters which never give of 5V right away even when not under load I have not found anything other then the 12V PSU.
This is why I wanted to go for a slightly bigger heatsink then I could find normally.

Would any of these 2 adapters suffice instead of that 12V PSU?
CHD-POWER ADAPTER 9VB27 9V 3A Power Adapter Charger for LED Lamp + Camera + More - Black (US Plug) (US will be rewired anyway)
9V 2A EU Plug Power Charger Adapter for Cube U9GT2 / Aigo E700 / Vido N90FHD + More - Black

The 3A version should be more reliable.

I am going to use a momentary switch in a case placed at the feet to switch the power on/off towards the driver

If this is really for an engraver, that is inadequate. The engraver needs to be able to activate the laser as needed. Please speak with your commissioner on this.

The 3A version should be more reliable.
The 3A version it is then.

If this is really for an engraver, that is inadequate. The engraver needs to be able to activate the laser as needed. Please speak with your commissioner on this.
The laser is handheld while he activates the laser with the switch mounted in the box/case at his feet, so technically my commissioner IS the engraver. :whistle:
The type of switch will be one of those momentary guitar stomp switches.

I actually finished the empty host mockup today to show to my commissioner.

Last edited: