Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

diy heatsink

jayrob

Gazoo said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1204493878/45#46 date=1204758663]Your welcome! Hey Gazoo. I am curious about your latest MXDL build. If you got it done, what resistor did you end up going with? And if you used your extra HOT diode, what was your power reading?
Jay

Hi Jay,
Nope...still not done, but I did start on it. I do know one of my new MXDL's has the 3 ohm resister, but I had already decided I am going to use a 3 ohm resistor since the diode is a HOT one. So yes, I will be using the hot diode with the 3 ohm resistor. I am hesitant to use the 2.4 ohm resistor which would supply 520ma's to the diode...since it is a sweet diode I want it to last for awhile. As long as I can get greater than 300mw's I will be very happy. :D
[/quote]

Please post back! I am guessing....320mW's. Glass Meredith right? I have one that's 309mW's, and I know yours is a HOTTER diode than mine...
Jay

what is a hot diode? is it one of those phazor things? would you need a lasrger heatsink for that?

jayrob

clwatkins10 said:
what is a hot diode? is it one of those phazor things? would you need a lasrger heatsink for that?

Each diode may differ just a little. We figure that the open can diodes average between 290mW's and 310mW's. That's with a Meredith glass lens @ 420mA's, heatsinked. But Gazoo harvested an EXTRA nice one. He is getting above average readings from it. I wish I had it!
Jay

Gazoo

jayrob said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1204493878/45#47 date=1204759273][quote author=jayrob link=1204493878/45#46 date=1204758663]Your welcome! Hey Gazoo. I am curious about your latest MXDL build. If you got it done, what resistor did you end up going with? And if you used your extra HOT diode, what was your power reading?
Jay

Hi Jay,
Nope...still not done, but I did start on it. I do know one of my new MXDL's has the 3 ohm resister, but I had already decided I am going to use a 3 ohm resistor since the diode is a HOT one. So yes, I will be using the hot diode with the 3 ohm resistor. I am hesitant to use the 2.4 ohm resistor which would supply 520ma's to the diode...since it is a sweet diode I want it to last for awhile. As long as I can get greater than 300mw's I will be very happy. :D
[/quote]

Please post back! I am guessing....320mW's. Glass Meredith right? I have one that's 309mW's, and I know yours is a HOTTER diode than mine...
Jay
[/quote]

Jay, I will be more than happy to post the results. Yup, I will be using the Glass Meredith.

jayrob

Gazoo said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1204493878/45#48 date=1204759658][quote author=Gazoo link=1204493878/45#47 date=1204759273][quote author=jayrob link=1204493878/45#46 date=1204758663]Your welcome! Hey Gazoo. I am curious about your latest MXDL build. If you got it done, what resistor did you end up going with? And if you used your extra HOT diode, what was your power reading?
Jay

Hi Jay,
[/quote]

Jay
[/quote]

Jay, I will be more than happy to post the results. Yup,  I will be using the Glass Meredith.[/quote]

Gazoo, have you had any focussing issues with the Meredith glass module? I have had two that I had to modify. Take a quick read of this post:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870/270#283
Also, in my 'Heatsink Tips' document that I have linked there, I show another 'pointer' for the Meredith's that I have found. I am curious if you have found some of the same issues that I have...
Jay

jayrob

clwatkins10 said:
i wonder why they wouldnt make it easier to focus, you think that they would fix that

Well, the thing is, the difference between being in focus, and being way out of focus is so minimal. The modules are designed for the 9mm diode cases. Which I have never even tried. I'm sure the focus depends on the diode as well. I think that for the most part, their modules work just fine. Maybe I just got a couple that had the 'skirt' too long or something...
Jay

Gazoo

Jay, I have not had any issues with the focusing problem. In order for the ring to screw down far enough, everything must be seated and aligned perfectly within the module.

I do know you have had issues with the module but I hope it was a fluke and Meredith has corrected the problem. The last module I received a couple of weeks ago focuses very nicely.