Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diverging 808--->940nm beam experiments

I am new to this forum so excuse my lack of laser knowledge.  I am not intersted in burning stuff or laser special effects. I have an application where I want to uniformly illuminate a circular area approximately ten feet in diameter using a continuous wave laser.  I would like to start my experiments down at 808nm and work up in wavelength.  I have extremely sensitive CCD cameras that have a high Quantum Efficiency from 450nm- 1100nm.  In my application, I am mainly interested in the 808nm - to 940nm NIR band.  I plan to be approximately from a minimum of 100 feet to a maximum of 12 miles from my target.  I must be able to collimate the beam so it is a plain and even focus with diameters from 5 feet to 200 feet at the target.  My camera is very sensitive to NIR and I can take images solely using the reflected NIR light.  Any ideas?  I can send a video to anyone showing how another person achieved the same  goal.  I have video but don't know how they did it.  They used an 808nm CW laser at no more than 1 watt.  They were able to illuminate an area at 14 miles observable by the camera at night.  Any ideas out there.  It should be eyesafe at the huge target diameters.  Also people would not notice any red flash from the laser since the sensitivity of the human eye at 808nm is very low compared to my camera.   I am not using range gated lasers.  My camera has a nominal .00002 lux sensitivity.  I have learned that I can actually see intense IR light up to 880nm.  Most people dont see much above 700nm, but that is if the light is not intense.  The brighter the light, the greater in wavelength (lower in frequency) human can see.  Most of my experiments with non-laser light are from 800nm - 1300nm. I have other friends who have been working with 40 watt 808nm lasers but only greater volume (a "cube" of bright 808nm light 50 yards by 50 yards by 12 feet) and less range than the 1 watter. I must be able to have a duty cycle a mimimum of 60 minutes at a time. Of course it would be better for 100% duty 24 hours per day, but I must start somewhere. I am familiar with dichroic and dye based hot mirrors as well as fresnel lenses for beam shaping.

Floordog
:cool:

So if you are looking for IR lasers you have certainly selected the least expensive wavelengths. You can get 808nm lab lasers and 980nm lab lasers very cheap. My company recently provided high power 808nm laser systems to a branch of the U.S. military for target illumination. Their targets were only 1.5Km from the laser. Beam expanded to give 3mrad divergence and viola, nice illuminated target.

1 Watt 808nm
http://store.oemlasersystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_39&products_id=171

5 Watt 808nm
http://store.oemlasersystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_39&products_id=177

dar303

This sounds very interesting! What application is it going to be used for, what are you going to film that requires that kind of distance? Some kind of air to ground surveillance?

WOW - I wouldn't mind having that 5W 808nm. Several weeks ago I bought a portable 808nm 1.9W laser from S-KY. That beast has so much burning power. I can't imagine what 5W would be like.

Jim

roSSco

jimc1128 said:
WOW - I wouldn't mind having that 5W 808nm. Several weeks ago I bought a portable 808nm 1.9W laser from S-KY. That beast has so much burning power. I can't imagine what 5W would be like.

Jim
What's the maximum distance you can burn with that?