Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dim 50 mw ledshoppe

A few weeks ago I got the green 50mw laser from ledshoppe, and I am having a bit of a problem with it.

At first it worked very well and was extremely bright and powerful. However, after about two weeks of use, it became very dim, to the point that I can barely see the dot, even on my hand a few inches away.

When I first press the button, it flashes brightly, but then becomes dim. Pressing the switch multiple times quickly results in an overall decrease in brightness. From what I've read, this seem to be somewhat normal, but I do not know what to do to stop it.

I have put in new batteries multiple times, which did not change anything. I also tried metal spacers to increase battery contact, but that did not seem to help either. The only thing that helps is cooling the laser (I put it in the freezer for a very short amount of time) after which it will work normally until it heats up again. I have been using the laser in a hot and humid environment, but I have also been exposing my 50 mw blu-ray laser from ledshoppe to the same conditions, and it has remained the same.

Do you guys have any advice for me? Or is my laser just broken? Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of duty cycle were you using?

The heatsinking in the bonded crystals with integral mirrors can overheat and die. My 1st green died that way.
Only a few possible causes.
Bad battery, bad driver, bad 808 diode, or the crystals/mirror.

If it can come apart, you may be able to find out.

Last edited:
I generally have a very short duty cycle, no more than 10 seconds on before about 30 seconds or even longer turned off. I replaced the batteries a few times, so I doubt that is the cause.

How much trouble is it to fix such problems? I have no constraints in terms of time or technical ability, just money. Or should I just get a new laser?

LZR

In my experience, the DX true 50mw is much better.
*Much thinner beam, and the beam looks brighter.
*Better quality feel, the button on the ledshoppe sucks.
*Always bright, my ledshoppes only works in a very narrow temp scale, so it is never full power.
*Comes in a box.

I feel like the ledshoppe is a cheapy ebay laser.