Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Difference Between Red And Green Laser?

Hi All

Nice to meet you all. I am new on here so please bear with me if I do sound dumb.

What exactly is the difference between the red and green laser? can you actually see the green laser clearly in the day time at a good distance if you point it at a brick wall? if you used a 200-300mw laser pointer.

At the moment all I have is three red laser pens and one of them is a 4 in 1 which is a pen, metal pointer, laser pointer and an LED torch, all of them have a 5mw strength. I would love to buy a red or green laser pointer with either a 200 or 300mw laser beam strength but all we have in the UK is eBay who supposedly sells 200 or 300mw laser pointers which are high quality ones (would you trust eBay?) and would you guys know of any websites I could trust to buy the 200 or 300mw laser pointers from?

I use my laser pointers to point at stars as I like astrology and I would like to buy a stronger better laser pointer.

Many thanks for reading and replying to my topic. Have fun with your lasers.

Regards,

Oliver

diachi

Ones red and ones green ::)

I have a 30mW and it's fairly visible during the day, I can see the dot from a good distance in direct sunlight. The beam is clearly visible in the night sky.

If you want a 200-300mW green don't go to eBay, theres practically no such thing as a 200-300mW green from eBay. Read up on lasers here, and then you can buy a laser of that power ( with safety goggles ) from somewhere like www.optotronics.com or www.laserglow.com or www.novalasers.com.

-Adam

Thanks for the post Adam (Diachi)

The green laser sounds cool, wonder if the the red laser beam can be seen from a good distance in direct sunlight? I can just imagine seeing a beam of green light reaching into the night sky, heaven;-)

Yeah I shall read up on lasers on here, thanks for the tip. Yeah wont forget to buy some safety goggles B-) thanks for the links but the website companys that you refered me to are from the US would they ship to the UK and of course what will the shipping tax be, expensive?:-(

Regards,

Oliver

I'm pretty sure all those companies ship to the UK.

I know Nova Lasers do because thats where I bought my first high powered greenie. I had to pay £40 additional customs charges when I got my laser.

However you can get around that, when completing your order write that you want the laser declared at a much lower value so that you don't have to pay custom charges.

Hope this helps,
Rich

diachi

I don't think Optotronics ships to the UK atm, I tried buying laser shades from them and I never saw a UK shipping option :-/ I know NOVA does though, although they do charge for shipping .

Thanks for the great info you two, the only thing I am concerned about is the price of the lasers on the websites you advised me to go to especially when it comes to the 200-300mw laser pointers red or green in colour, the cheapest one I could find was £380.92 ($679.00). The laser pointer I am interested in is on eBay UK tina.chris is the seller and the laser 300mw pointer is only £80 odd.

Regards,

Oliver

diachi

Yupp, thats because it's good quality and service . You can go somewhere like www.dealextreme.com but don't expect good quality or service.

Infact if you don't mind a laser thats not portable you could go to NewStar Laser .

I'll post a link in a minute when I find it .

-Adam

Haha, the difference in price is because the one is ebay isn't really 300mw and the ones from the companies that adam posted are.

diachi

If you don't want a lab style your only other choice ( If you want a 200-300mW green ) is forking out the money for a portable and just getting it from one of the companies I listed before .

Although if you only want a laser that has 200mW of power and don't mind the colour you could get this :
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11315

-Adam

Also the balloon popping video on the ebay auction shows that its not 300mw, because if it was 300mw the balloon would have popped in split seconds not about 3 seconds

1. red is common
2.green is less common. (and more awesome)
3.green is way more expensive
4.ones green and ones red.
5.greens about 40x brighter.

S

skylasers.net

Red and green lasers are actually very very different both internally and externally.

First, green lasers are much brighter than red lasers. That is, a 100mW green laser pointer is much brighter than a 100mW red laser pointer. I would say a 100mW red laser is about as bright as a 5-10mW green laser pointer at night. The reason for this is because your eyes are more sensitive to green light.

On the inside, green lasers are much more complicated to produce as the green laser light is produced by changing a 808nm IR beam to 1064nm and than frequency doubled to a 532nm green laser beam through the use of various types of crystals.

During the day, the laser beam will not be visible even if the laser is a 200-300mW green laser pointer. Only the end dot is clearly visible. If you have any other questions, you can always email us at support@skylasers.net, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding lasers and laser pointers.