Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

I am sorry if this is duplicate to any other thread, but I cant seem to find a thread with this similar question that hasnt turned into a debate on something unrelated to the topic.

I am trying to get a purple laser for my wife. She loves, purple, and is starting to sway to pink (but ive never seen a pink laser lol) so I am looking at a purple one. It doesnt have to be fancy, and cost is a concern. I just am looking for something that will have a visible beam (doesnt have to be bright, just able to see in the dark mainly and maybe in some lighted areas) and have a clearly visible very purple dot. I am not looking to light matches on fire, or have a lightsaber duel or anything. Just want something she can use the looks cool, is purple, and can carry around with. So she can enjoy a little bit of my laser love.

Anyone have any suggestions. I am trying to keep it under 50 bucks. I have seen some from dino direct but i am cautious about their quality, and amazon has some from them and if I dont like them I know I can ship back but would rather avoid that hassle. o-like doesnt have what I need and rayfoss I cant find one I like either. WL and Dragon lasers has some but they are too pricey for what I need. Though I may consider it if I can be assured that it will be a visible beam and bright dot (even in daylight for the dot).

Can someone give me some advice or help from what you have?

Greatly appreciated.

eexe

I like the o-like one. I must have missed that one. and o-like seems to be a pretty well liked site around here. I appreciate the links. Thanks for taking the time to post :)
I wonder how bright a 50mw violet would be hehe

has anyone ever bought from this place: shenzhen-wholesale: Blue Purple laser

or know the rep. I saw a youtube video in my searches that showed someone burning through extrical tape faster than ive seen 500mw lasers burn and it was one of the 50mw violet lasers from here.

Benm

I dont have any experience with them, but you can also get them from DX - DealExtreme: $39.08 100mW 405nm Blue-Violet/Royal Purple Laser Pen (2*AAA) - which is reliable, although rather slow lately.

If you are giving it as a gift, make sure she's aware of the danger. Especially these 405 lasers can seem to be innocently dim, but don't be fooled by that! 100 mW is very nice, gives a good visible dot and often a visible beam in the dark, but its plenty to fry an eye!

for pretty cheap you can a "<5mW" 405nm (purple) off of ebay. No long wait from china and the lasers are usually over-spec. The average ebay purple laser is around 40mW and only cost around 10 dollars. You can see the beam in the dark but it looks grey if no fog is added to the room. I have a 400mW 405nm laser from o-like and its beam is fairly visible at night. The downside of this is that a 400mW laser shouldn't be used indoors without proper safety glasses. Proper safety glasses make the laser look weak.

The problem is that 405nm light is on the edge of the visual spectrum so it looks way less powerful than it actually is. And to go along with that it looks distorted because of the way the eye focuses on it. The dot will look like it has lines coming out of it and the beam will look very wide and blurry. If you just want to look at the dot then 50mW would be okay but dont expect a spectacular beam.

405 blu ray laser items - Get great deals on Electronics, Business Industrial items on eBay.com!

I was actually looking at that 400mw one from o-like. I was thinking of buying it instead of, or in addition to the 50mw one from there.

My wife and I use laser safety a lot, I have two great glasses coming from dragon lasers, and we usually just use out high powered lasers pointing at a large empty field from a second story porch. or into the air (assuming no air traffic around of course).

I was just not sure if the 400mw one was worth buying or not.

The 400mW O-like is definitely worth buying. It looks amazing in fog. still, I think you have to like burning things a little to get full enjoyment out of this laser. I shouls mention that this laser is not good for long distance pointing. my 50mW green reaches out way farther than my 400mW blu-ray.

im more in it for the lightshow with that one, but i d like some burning power. the spartan i have coming, and going to buy the beam expander when its available. I am also looking at their 250mw red and also trying to find a good 200+ mw for my uncle.

madog

I have bought 5 "purple" lasers off of ebay from a company called Item Quick Ship. They range in power from 45mw up to 82mw.