Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Damaged Focusing Lenses opps?

Hello all, I'm a new member & this is my first post. I've read a lot on LPF & hoping someone with much more knowledge can assist me with a damaged focusing lens issue I created. I'm looking forward to learning much more about laser building, usage, etc.. I purchased from Lazerer recently, a LZCB - CYBER 650nm 200mW pointer. Upon firing it up. I noticed an artifact, darker area in the 6-8 PM area of the beam spot, & thot maybe it could be cleaned.

SO, I tried to clean with rubbing alcohol & clouded any AR coating there may have been on the primary lens in front of the laser diode. I then tried to remove what I'd call the objective lens from the front, & damaged it. So I now have a nice large red spot generator!!

I have disassembled the focusing head, but have been unable to remove the primary lens (I don't have a tiny spanning wrench). I then removed the objective lens & O-ring.

I have a couple of questions & hope I may be able to replace what I've damaged & return the pointer to a usable unit. I'm unsure of the objective lens diameter, but the O-ring it sits behind has an OD 10.05 mm, & ID 7mm.

1) Does anyone know how easily I can obtain possible glass lenses to remount into the focusing head?

2) Is there by chance a replacement/retrofit type focusing head from someone like Aixiz that could match the external threads on the Host Body? Being from China, am thinking they are metric? I measured with calipers an OD of .802" or 20.4mm for the Host Body threads.

3) I'm unsure of the lens types & arrangements used for focusing these type of pointers, (Biconvex, Plano-convex, etc..)

I hope I don't have to scrap an inexpensive pointer, so I can learn. I have recently used an old 20 mm eyepiece from a rifle scope, & it allows the beam to be focused to an incredibly tight 1.25 - 1.5 mm beam spot!

I'm interested in building lasers down the road, but I'd like experience with these inexpensive units first, to learn. If anyone has any input or thots on a solution I can try, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.