Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Current take on *authentic* Eagle Pair laser glasses?

Greetings, all.

I had noted some individuals on here have reservations about EaglePair laser goggles. When I was first getting into lasers many years ago, EaglePair was highly recommended, so I purchased based on that feedback. I purchased directly from Survival Laser. I currently own:
[SL-RLG11] Eagle Pair® 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles (I purchased for $41.99 in 2013)
[SL-GLG1] Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles ($57.99 in 2012)

The class 4's I currently own:
~1.1W 445nm
~>=3W 445nm
600mW 520nm
680mW 638 nm

Since then, I've noted some individuals had concerns about Eagle Pair laser glasses, but there was also a thread that seemed to suggest that fake EaglePair glasses explained the poor protection https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/question-about-eagle-pair.72792/

I take precautions to avoid any direct or reflected exposure even when wearing eye protection, but I do sometimes burn with them (light hookah coals, etc).

What's everyone's current take on *authentic* Eagle Pair I mentioned above for my collection? The 520nm is a new acquisition and my first green class 4. Should I purchase new glasses, or should these be adequate for burning / pointing indoors at light colored walls? Side note, if someone is being an idiot with a handheld laser at an event (concert / festival /etc), I may put my glasses on as a precaution until security or I can talk to them; this would be the most likely scenario where I might get inadvertent direct exposure - someone else being stupid

If you have a power meter you can test how well your current goggles work: defocus the laser and shine a somewhat broad beam through a pair of goggles and measure what comes through on your power meter. If that transmitted power is <= class 1, your current goggles are fine. Just be sure to wear another pair of goggles or use a cell phone camera to check the meter output. If you don't have a LPM to test with put a white sheet of paper after the goggles and take a picture with your cell phone. There should be no beam or a very weak beam. This isn't as accurate but will give you some idea.

If you're going to be collecting class 4 lasers I'd get a pair of goggles that are certified by companies that don't add a "for personal use only" disclaimer. That puts them more on the hook for the goggles handling the power they say they do. I've bought a lot of good stuff from Survival Laser but eye protection has always been something I've bought from the "big boys".

Thor Labs has a few:

As does Edmund Optics:

Noir Laser has a nice web app where you can input the wavelengths you want to filter and it will tell you what goggles work:

None of these are particularly inexpensive. But they're your eyes. If you're burning things you're reasonably close to a very bright spot. And don't rule out accidents. Even if you're not "being stupid" you can still make a simple mistake and regret it.